I Forge Iron

Skinning knife

JamesG

My Grandfather order a Skinning knife for his preacher this is what I come up with> I edge quanched the blade, While I was soaking the blade in vinger to get the oil off, I notied I had a temper line.

metal-Leaf spring 6150
guard- Mild steel
Handle- Red and Black spacer Whitetail antler.
Pin,Mild steel

002-4.jpg
003-5.jpg
004-4.jpg
005-4.jpg

Nice looking using blade! A bit pointy for how I skin though.

Question to Thomas: What would you do to make the point more efficient? Drop the spine edge of the tip? Considering that it has been tempered, the door is open to further modifications and fine tuning. I don't think it would ruin the lines of the blade either. Just trying to grasp the finer points of knife design and the reasons some are better at a particular task than others.

James, this looks like a comfortable, nicely shaped knife. Great use of materials. I'm sure the preacher will get years of service from it.

Robert

Different types of skinning benefit from different knife shapes. A deer is a type of animal that I would think of as being really easy to skin, with in most cases not even skinning the face (caping). This knife would be fine for the job. For skinning bears or beaver, or an animal that the fat tends to stick to the skin a knife with a very rounded edge and blunt tip works well.as you are less likely to knick the hide with the tip, this may be the classical skinning shape since it is not considered that universal. For doing faces especially around the eyes a knife with a fine tip works well as you are being more percise this is what I would think of as a caping knife. both of these are speciallized skinning knives that are really different from each other. I expect the preacher will be happer with your knife than he would with either of the 2 knives I just mentioned. Nice job.