I Forge Iron

What steel should I use?

Zack S

I am building a guillotine based off the one by Nick Wheeler at bladeforums.com I want to know what steel I should use. I know i should use different steel for the frame and dies, but what should use? I am building this as a school project and the teacher will be purchasing steel to use I just need to tell him what steel to use. Also I am planing on adding a removable depth gauge like the one in the picture bellow.
The general dimensions I got from the pictures are

1 inch plate
10 inch tall
6 inch mouth
6 inch across

5 inch bottom die
10 inch top die
dies 4 inches across

post-25431-0-22925900-1350922457_thumb.j

Most of the wear is going to be on the part that gets struck. When properly used the material you are forging will be hot or if doing noferous at least anealed but the struck end takes a pbeating over time.
I have used plow lathe, grader blade and mild steel as the guilitene as I have used several types over the years and it all works.

my gillotine tool is all made from mild steel including the dies which I super-quenched, they have been working well for me for about 10 years. The struck end of top die will mushroom but that's easy to fix on the belt sander, or use Jr. Strassil's trick of welding about a half inch thick slice of 1/2 round bar to the top of the die and hammer on that, when it gets all mushed up, cut it off and weld on another one. Sure saves the top of the dies.

I have one with half inch round A36 welded horizontally for top/bottom fullers. It has lasted 10 years without noticable wear. However, if the guillotine is used with right angled dies to make, say, a tenon, then spring steel or 4140 might be in order. Likewise, if a cutting tool, use a respectable steel.

when I made my tool I used A36 for all of it, it has held up great have not had to re dress the dies at all. I just picked a stock 1/2"x2 1/2" and built it around it. Made the process simple and keept the cost down. and at that price and having full 20' length on hand if I need to make a replacement die I have plenty of stock

Thank You. Because I am building this in a Precision Manufacturing class when I am done I am thinking I will upload all of my mechanical drawings for it. And while I am building it I will take pictures of it and upload them on here. I have decided to go with what TomasPowers suggested for my steel.

I built mine out of mild/A36 and leaf spring and it's lasted some 7-8 years now. The main difference in my guillotine is I placed the dies at a 45* angle to the frame so I can use it either across stock or along it say to fuller a sword blade. Not that I make swords it's just the example I thought of.

Frosty The Lucky.

I build and sell guillotine tools (and more often than not give them away in Iron In The Hat raffles at meets). I've made a lot of these, and use one many times a week. My advise would be to make your dies out of something like 1/2" by 1 1/2" mild steel. Mild steel dies will work ok for general forging of HOT steel. If you find that they are failing then you are either working too cold or are forging more advanced steels or are forging bigger cross sections than your average hobbyist. My experimentation with all sorts of sizes of die stock, for example 3/4 by 3", is that big dies take a HUGE blow from a big hammer to overcome the inertia of the tool to do a reasonable amount of work.

A guillotine tool is for work of less than 3/4" square, upper limit of 1 1/4" square. That is in general the max stock size worked by the modern hobby smith. A die significantly wider than your work will result in wasted effort because your energy will go into overcoming the inertia of the tool rather than forming the work piece. If you are forging a lot of stuff over 1" square then it is more economical to build or buy a power hammer or press.

I build and sell guillotine tools (and more often than not give them away in Iron In The Hat raffles at meets). I've made a lot of these, and use one many times a week. My advise would be to make your dies out of something like 1/2" by 1 1/2" mild steel. Mild steel dies will work ok for general forging of HOT steel. If you find that they are failing then you are either working too cold or are forging more advanced steels or are forging bigger cross sections than your average hobbyist. My experimentation with all sorts of sizes of die stock, for example 3/4 by 3", is that big dies take a HUGE blow from a big hammer to overcome the inertia of the tool to do a reasonable amount of work.

A guillotine tool is for work of less than 3/4" square, upper limit of 1 1/4" square. That is in general the max stock size worked by the modern hobby smith. A die significantly wider than your work will result in wasted effort because your energy will go into overcoming the inertia of the tool rather than forming the work piece. If you are forging a lot of stuff over 1" square then it is more economical to build or buy a power hammer or press.

How should one contact you about purchasing one of your guillotines? Very nice design!

It's not hard to build one of your own, ABANA's Hammer's Blow publication publishes designs every few years. Another reason why membership in ABANA is worth it. Basically you need a torch and a welder and a little experience. In my video the ones shown are made with 1 1/2" by 1/2" die stock, 1/2" thick base plates, and 3/8" thick C frame pieces. You should be able to guess at the size of everything else given that scale. Clamp your dies in the assembly with a business card spacer when welding to give sliding fits. Good luck and if you still would rather buy then build send me a PM.