I Forge Iron

Thanks for the idea. My students need projects like this. I have them make leaves, but they cut them off and draw out the stems. This approach will allow them to learn to make a socket. :rolleyes:
Cool that my ideas are taken so good. I think I will also come up with a tutorial video soon.

Thanks for the idea. My students need projects like this. I have them make leaves, but they cut them off and draw out the stems. This approach will allow them to learn to make a socket. :rolleyes:
I actually first forged out a fishtail shape with the peen of my hammer, then folded the socket, then forged out the stem on the horn, then cut of about 5cm of the stock material with the cut of hardy already leaving the tip tapered, then tapered a bit more and formed the leaf out also with the peen of the hammer. After that flattened the surface with the flat face of the hammer. Having that done I chiseled in the veins of the leaf, folded up the stem and the socket, a bit tweaking around making it stand stable and then some wire brushing and as the final step I burnished the surface with WD-40.

Great gift idea. And as someone said, its a Good design to teach. I need to get my butt in gear on Christmas presents. Cause it's post Like this that give me alot more ideas and makes me think of who to give them too.
Don't want to give everyone a Fredericks cross. At least Not at the same time. Scared They will compare the mistakes between them. So I Like to give everyone something different. They can swap later if one decided They had To have a certain piece.

Keep posting the Good work.

Great gift idea. And as someone said, its a Good design to teach. I need to get my butt in gear on Christmas presents. Cause it's post Like this that give me alot more ideas and makes me think of who to give them too.
Don't want to give everyone a Fredericks cross. At least Not at the same time. Scared They will compare the mistakes between them. So I Like to give everyone something different. They can swap later if one decided They had To have a certain piece.

Keep posting the Good work.
A gift that you wrought with your own hands and that has a usefull purpose and will last over the next 300 years definatelly is a good one!

Make someone a present like 99 said. And it will be here long after we are gone. A ten minute job On a piece and your momma or whoever will treasure that thing and make sure it goes to someone That appreciates it when They pass away.
But of course. I try to not highlight That it only took me 30 minutes to make That banana tree holder or less on the spring stock I turn into bread baskets to set on the dinner table.
We live in a throw away world nowdays. And a gift like 99's candle holder. That type item will Be cherished When we are all gone.
Someone will say " my daddy or uncle made that " hopefully helping to keep the craft alive in the future. Just my thoughts. But _I may be biased seeing how I'm 5 th generation in the trade as a profession.
But people love this stuff. The ones that Don't. Well. They get something that probably want Be around 10 yrs from now. Women are easier to make stuff for anyway. As gifts. Those old uncles usually have something to say. So they get a gift card if I draw their name at Christmas. Lol
Need To be working on stuff right now. But I get so many Good ideas from folks on here. I gotta keep checking y'all work.
Thanks for sharing. 99.

Make someone a present like 99 said. And it will be here long after we are gone. A ten minute job On a piece and your momma or whoever will treasure that thing and make sure it goes to someone That appreciates it when They pass away.
But of course. I try to not highlight That it only took me 30 minutes to make That banana tree holder or less on the spring stock I turn into bread baskets to set on the dinner table.
We live in a throw away world nowdays. And a gift like 99's candle holder. That type item will Be cherished When we are all gone.
Someone will say " my daddy or uncle made that " hopefully helping to keep the craft alive in the future. Just my thoughts. But _I may be biased seeing how I'm 5 th generation in the trade as a profession.
But people love this stuff. The ones that Don't. Well. They get something that probably want Be around 10 yrs from now. Women are easier to make stuff for anyway. As gifts. Those old uncles usually have something to say. So they get a gift card if I draw their name at Christmas. Lol
Need To be working on stuff right now. But I get so many Good ideas from folks on here. I gotta keep checking y'all work.
Thanks for sharing. 99.
That was a very nice comment. Thank you!

I am very glad that so many people like my design and want to try it out! :) I am curious how you will put it into practice so I´d be very happy if you can post pictures or even videos of your tries.
I'm going to give that a try this weekend - looks great - thanks for sharing 99