I Forge Iron

Should I repair the edges of this anvil?

I picked up this PW #150 for $300 a year or so ago and the lack of a nice edge is nagging me (making tongs mostly). I know some suggest to use a hardy tool that is a block to get that edge but not knowing anyone who knows about blacksmithing led me to post here. I am a decent hobby welder (TIG, stick, wire) so welding up the edges is within my abilities but I wanted to get input before committing.

post-28025-0-13236200-1350453656_thumb.j

post-28025-0-75975200-1350453684_thumb.j

post-28025-0-47257300-1350453707_thumb.j

post-28025-0-90920700-1350453732_thumb.j

Those edges are not that bad and if the repair is not done properly the anvil can be in worse shape, I would suggest the hardie tool method to get a better edge or you could trade/sell it towards an anvil with perfect edges or a new one.
Depending on your location you could easily get what you paid or more for that anvil in its current condition! There are plenty of smiths that are working with anvils with edges chipped way worse.

What he said! The cure is usually worse than the problem, both practically and economically.

Better to take a flap wheel on a grinder and soften all those chips if the sight bothers you, and you are worried about further damage. In fact, that is the **first** thing many pros do to a brand spanking new anvil, radius almost all the sharp edges to prevent chipping and marking the work. Years ago, one of the demonstrators did that to an anvil at a national ABANA conference without asking the vendors permission, and caused a stir.

Make or buy a block hardy hole tool with sharp edges, or better yet, with all four sides having a different radius: sharp 90 degree, 1/16", 1/8", 1/4".

I wish my anvil had edges that nice!

Yes, they are not perfect, some spots are chipped out, but the majority of the edge is a smooth radius of varying size. If there are any burrs in those chips clean that up with a file or sandpaper, but otherwise don't worry about it. There are not very many tasks that require particularly sharp edges, and an edge tool for the hardy will satisfy that need.

Phil

As a hobby welder have you ever worked on a 150# hunk of metal heated to 350 degF before?

As sharp edges tend to leave cold shuts in your work I would not suggest messing with it, there seemed to be at least one section that would be about as sharp an edge as I would want to do anything with.

A hardy tool will sure give you a lot of life. But I would still grind an area on each side for a good radius that is pretty clean. The surface appears to be rather flat in general so it would be good for you in straight line work.

But do ENJOY the thing until you find the perfect replacement.

I have only one good anvil , edges and all that, but the hardy hole is metric! Wished it was a couple hundred pounds heavier. And then again I am glad it isn't so heavy that I can move it by myself.

Carry on