I Forge Iron

Hello everyone!!

Matt Smith

Hello, Ive been posting for a while and I have been meaning to introduce myself for a while but just havent had the chance. I am 26 I have been smithin for about 6 months so far, I have a lot of diffrent hobbies , leather craft, airbrushing, auto paint and body repair, carpentery, and others. I got into smithing because I have been an advid knife collector since I was about 10 and I have always been facinated with the procces of making and forging tools, blades, etc. My goal is to become adapt at smithing to where I can eventually sell my work. I am currently in school to recive my MDiv ( master of divinity degree). Which basically means I am in trainning to be a fulltime minister as well. I am currently a youth pastor in the church of the Nazerene, Most significant thing that occured in my life recently was I was married to my wife in this past May. I hope to get to know alot of you as I seek to grow in this craft, I have seen alot of your guy's work and there are some very talented people on this forum.
-Matt

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! First off Congrats on your marriage! I did that 38+yrs ago and have never regretted it...of course when you marry up like I did....Enjoy the site but make sure the little Lady knows where you are so she can send a rescue party in if need be. Post pictures of your work, we do like pictures. Again, welcome

Matt, I am a member of the Indiana Blacksmithing Association. We have a number of satalitte groups across the state. I am in the Southern Indiana Mereorite Mashers and our group meets in Paoli, Salem and Floyds Knobs in rotation. Our meeting this month is in Cannelton Indiana just up river from Tell city tomorrow during their heritage festival. We are going to forge a split cross from 3" square steel right in the street as a demo. If you are free, Cannelton is not too far I think.
There are a several of knife makers in our group, and notably Billy Merrit, know as a fine teacher of pattern welding and knife making is our forge master.
The Novemeber meeting will be at my shop, the Saturday after thanksgiving, in Floyds Knobs, and the lunch entree will be Hickory smoked turkey.
You would be most welcome

Matt, I am a member of the Indiana Blacksmithing Association. We have a number of satalitte groups across the state. I am in the Southern Indiana Mereorite Mashers and our group meets in Paoli, Salem and Floyds Knobs in rotation. Our meeting this month is in Cannelton Indiana just up river from Tell city tomorrow during their heritage festival. We are going to forge a split cross from 3" square steel right in the street as a demo. If you are free, Cannelton is not too far I think.
There are a several of knife makers in our group, and notably Billy Merrit, know as a fine teacher of pattern welding and knife making is our forge master.
The Novemeber meeting will be at my shop, the Saturday after thanksgiving, in Floyds Knobs, and the lunch entree will be Hickory smoked turkey.
You would be most welcome
Thanks I am super busy with school, work, church responsibility etc, so I have to check my schedule but if I can make a meeting now and then that would be awsome. Is there fees, or anything or is it just like an open get together of smiths who share info

Matt, the first 2 meeting are just come and enjoy, and learn/share. After that we would like for you to join the IBA, which is about $35 a year for a family. We bring odds and ends for Iron in the Hat, and the host usually has an entree, and folks bring pitch-in stuff for lunch.
For a day of learning sharing if is pretty darn reasonable:)

Thanks for the intro Matt. I was drawn to the pic in your header the first time I saw it and now I know why. Newly weds! Congratulations! My life began properly when I married Deb, I'm a rich guy now even if we don't have as much money as I did before. Many many good years to you and your beautiful bride.

As far as efficient use of your valuable time, you will be ahead months of self teaching for every day you spend with experienced smiths and a proper club meeting is a better multiplier yet.

I don't know but is IN. GOM territory? The Guild Of Metalsmiths isn't just smithing related they are all metalheads of almost every type imaginable. It's a great group with more talent than a mortal can grasp, good folk.

Frosty The Lucky.

Matt, the first 2 meeting are just come and enjoy, and learn/share. After that we would like for you to join the IBA, which is about $35 a year for a family. We bring odds and ends for Iron in the Hat, and the host usually has an entree, and folks bring pitch-in stuff for lunch.
For a day of learning sharing if is pretty darn reasonable:)
Sounds reasonable to me but Ill have to see how everything works out , I would like to possibly come to the meeting in Nov if I can