I Forge Iron

latest hammer in the stable.

I picked this hammer up this week. a 50kg sahinla.
2005 and with very little work on it.
I helped install the hammer when first bought and know the old owner well.
I am installing it in the school , it should make the damascus making a lot easier for students than using my 60 lb goliath .
I have 3 flat dies and one combo die . I will be altering one of the flat t dies to combo dies . and will buy/ make a set of very small fullering dies for working out axe blades.
this hammer does not have the appeal for me of the old English cast hammers but I know it to be a good reliable tool.
I shall have to think of a name for it?
8033570988_17fa3b8f7a_b.jpg

Sweet addition and going to be a pussycat to work compared to the goliath. You should name it Sam, and leave it insecured to the floor so it dances for you.

Sam If it can do the monkey dance then I will happily name it Sam.
I had no plans of fixing it down I will probably have it penned in with ground anchors so it cant re locate though...
hmmn Sam is a good name for a power hammer!

we cleaned it up and bedded it onto a level concrete plinth this week.
the hammer is a SM50 it is not bolted down to ground but cant now wonder .....SaM50...I reckon.
SAM50
is there a Dancing monkey logo somewhere on the internet (SAM?) ? or is it just in my head ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hammer is now installed and up and running.
does just about all I want (for a school hammer) and has good power and incredible control.
not sure the dies are what I want as general dies?The fullering side of the combo is so sharp. useful for some things though (arrow heads come to mind...).
and its quiet running...

Hammer is now installed and up and running.
does just about all I want (for a school hammer) and has good power and incredible control.
not sure the dies are what I want as general dies?The fullering side of the combo is so sharp. useful for some things though (arrow heads come to mind...).
and its quiet running...

Hi Owen,
I have some unused Sahinler 50 flat dies that I don't need. Dunno if they would fit or if you might be interested?

Excellent..when can I come and use it?

Turkish for assistant is "ASISTAN"....so its name must be "STAN"
mindless in Turkish is AKILSIZ.....so maybe AKILSTAN...or maybe not as AKIL actually means Mental..."Mental Stan"

Ric

I think I can actually relate to that "Mental Stan" thingy! :wacko:

Nice hammer, watching for a very similar model at SIUC to go on public auction as it leaked oil like a sieve inside and they have already replaced it with
another new model. I'm thinking the cylinder needs a good rebuild and hope with several inches of oil still left inside case that it sells real cheap!!! :ph34r:

Stan