I Forge Iron

Broken elbow, your stronger arm

HIGHSIDER

Hey Guys, just wondering among the gang here has anyone broken their elbow particularly your stronger arm where you do most of your hammer/anvil work?

I broke my elbow a few years back and I'm very consious of how I limit the discomfort when working the anvil or similar activity. It's not a problem but i don't wish to test it and find out when it really is a pain and have to stop.

Is there any advise from those who have had arm injuries or broken arm bones that could be issued that would help limit any further damage or pain say when hammering & using the anvil?

Thanks

I've broken my left, non dominant elbow three times over the years. Thankfully not my right. As far as advice goes, do what the Physical Therapist tells you, even when it feels better, even when it feels fine and you think you're fully recovered, keep up the PT.

Why ask a group of faceless smiths? Ask you doctor, we have no way of knowing the details of your injury.

Nah, like I've said it ain't a problem so I not going to bother a Doc, just interested to find out from anyone here that may have experienced something similar & get a few opinions on this this type of bone break and how they found smithing since the injury

I've broken my left, non dominant elbow three times over the years. Thankfully not my right. As far as advice goes, do what the Physical Therapist tells you, even when it feels better, even when it feels fine and you think you're fully recoveredexperienced ff, keep up the PT.

Actually that's good advice, thanks for that

I've broken my left, non dominant elbow three times over the years. Thankfully not my right. As far as advice goes, do what the Physical Therapist tells you, even when it feels better, even when it feels fine and you think you're fully recovered, keep up the PT.

I injured my rotator cuff (right shoulder), and both wrists in high school, almost 15 years ago. I still do the PT somewhat regularly, usually as a warm up since it is nice and light.

Phil

I've been doing a tai chi short form and a series of chi kung (qigong) exercises since the early 1980's. There are many styles of chi kung, literally "skill in breathing." I do one that combines deep breathing and bodily motion. The movements are usually slow and fairly gentle. If there are stretches, they are mild, but one's range of motion increases over time. You'll probably need a skilled teacher to show you the right "postures." I'm 76 y.o.