I Forge Iron

anyone familiar with o2?

here is what i know about 02 its an oil hardening steel and i plan on doing the triple normalize triple harden then triple temper but can i oven temper? if so how long? if not what is another way to temper? if yall have any critics about my planned process let me know i haven't started on the blade yet just doing research i found another link here about 02 but it didnt really address the temper issue (unless i shoulda bought the book) thanks ahead of time

Yup, and I wish I had a supply of O2,

I do find it a bit strange that you decided on tripple normalizing and stuff, but you dont know how to temper it? Do you know if that steel likes tripple stuff, or if, like its cousin O1 it may need a different treatment ?

Since you asked about tempering I just wonder how you made those decisions already .. Tool steels are not the same as 10xx series, Have fun.

A internet search took 0.34 seconds and provided about 72,800 results This was one of the hits.

Preheat Temp....................... 1250/1300
Austenitize Temp ................ 1450/1500
Hold Time (Minutes).............15-30
Ouench .................................OIL
Temper Temp. ......................350/500
Typical Hardness HRC .........58/63

Tempering
Tempering is performed to stress-relieve the brittle martensite which was formed during the quench. Most steels have a fairly wide range of acceptable tempering temperatures. In general, use the highest tempering temperature which will provide the necessary hardness for the tool. The rate of heating to, and cooling from the tempering temperature is not critical. Sudden drastic temperature swings should be avoided. The material should be allowed to cool completely to room temperature (50/75°F) or below between and after tempers. Most steels must be held at temperature for a minimum of two to four hours for each temper. A rule of thumb is to allow one hour per inch of thickest section for tempering, but in no case less than two hours regardless of size.

Royce I have made blades for a long time and rarely if ever do I work from my head. i t is so simple to look at my heat treat notes for anything I have used prior or google for manufacturers specs for anything new.
i now have to wonder if Glenns specs are for o2 or 0 1.
i would not reccomend 0-1 foe anyone starting out with blades..but then you already have it!
i know I coiuld check the above specs through google........

• 4 weeks later...