I Forge Iron

What are these taps for?

I am cleaning up the shop and orginizing my cutting tools. I found these taps in the corner I bought these at a estate sale form a person who was "Machine Fabracator". Most of the stuff was WW2 era type stuff. Though there was older stuff there too. These all have #2 morse taper shanks. The the taps are not tapered at all.

post-2348-0-98366900-1348248595_thumb.jp

Look like bottom taps to me. No taper allows the user to get threads to or very near to the bottom of a blind hole. Optimizes the amount of bolt or screw you can get in the material.

Not sure about the pipe thread thing. I'm not a plumber or fitter but I believe a pipe thread is tapered for it's full length, aiding in the sealing of the joint as the two pieces are tightened. Someone with more knowledge than I please jump in.

This season,could you want to be a fashionable person, what kind of pattern shoes is necessary to be choiced? A variety of complete material splicing and creative fantasy splicing plan for shoes is Christian louboutin ,are you Cardiac? now action,look for your love shoes in Christianlouboutingoods.com

Not sure about the pipe thread thing. I'm not a plumber or fitter but I believe a pipe thread is tapered for it's full length, aiding in the sealing of the joint as the two pieces are tightened. Someone with more knowledge than I please jump in.

Internal threads are parallel, the external tapered thread produces the seal, or vica versa depending on situation

You can get tapered taps and dies or parallel ones, and die nuts Edited by John B

They are bottoming taps. Machine thread. Tapered threads are for pipe (NPT). Straight threads are machine screw (NF) (NC). Count the TPI and determine if they are fine or coarse and refer to a drilltap chart. Taps usually come 3 to a set; starting, tapered and bottoming. Bottoming taps are used on blind holes after you start the hole with the previous two taps. Yours have a Morse tapered (MT) head and probably went into a power drive of sorts.

Peter

Internal threads are parallel, the external tapered thread produces the seal,

In USA NPT pipe threads are tapered inside and out, they are most common. I think BSP? are straight though. American pipe sizes can also be had in straight pipe. IIRC it is called NPS
Everyone is right in this case due to differences over the globe :D

Yea but what are these taps

The two shorter ones are marked .900-20 the large one is 1.100 -20 the other one is 24 threads per inch and measures about .985 . What ever they are for is something very specific. They do not match any threads on my thread chart. I checked pipe, fractional and metric sizes.

I would think the first number is the outside diameter of the thread, and the second is the teeth per inch,

With a relatively fine pitch like that I would think along the lines of brass fittings for lighting systems, or for bicycle fittings (spoked wheel hub maybe?). or at those sizes, they could be used for caps on machinery grease/oiler reservoirs.

In the UK 24 tpi used to be a brass thread used on light fittings, and covered a range of different diameters, but with the same tpi

I would like to add that here in the UK we also had Taper taps and dies for internal and external threads, they were BSPT, and also some BSPNT memories a little fuzzy now and most were sold off in job lots at auction when I retired, but they also dated to about the same era as those you are showing

Hi Phil, Is a Morris taper the same as a Morse taper?

My bad spelling causing confusion...Yes, Morse taper.

I know that at school and in a shop I worked in for a summer the lathe tools would be switched into the drill press(es) without difficulties, that is bits, Jacobs chucks, These were larger drill presses, speed, feed, brake, reverse... At school tapping was done using the drill press. Typically the hole would be drilled, then tapped without changing the setup. (I was only allowed to operate the machines at school though)

Phil

Those are most definitely bottoming taps. and rather large ones at that. I think you don't have a need for them and should ship them to me so I can use and admire them.... I will even pay shipping......
Seriously like was said before you would use them to tap the bottom of a hole to get the most thread if you couldn't get the depth you wanted. I use them all the time. I have even taken a standard tapered tap and turned it into a bottom tap by slowly grinding it flat. You tap the hole with a standard taper tap until it bottoms out and then finish it with a bottom tap. I just did one on a piece I had to have a threaded stud that held a bar on where I couldnt go to deep.

No telling what they were for originally. Where I work we have dozens of non standard specialty taps that we use for customer's parts. Many threads are just turned in the screwmachine via single pointing, or thread whirling. The taps were usually picked up for reworking tight threads.

Not everything is, or was made with standard threads. Even today with SAE, ISO, Etc special threads are still used. Before the standards it was a free for all. I found this out doing gunsmithing. Many gun screws are very off the wall sizes, and thread pitches.

This doesn't help you much, but unless you can find out what they were originally for, you have some forging/tooling stock there.

In the cycling industry alone there are tons of different threads. Std English, whitworth and BS. Std Italian (and some old MASI ). Std French, Motobecane, Frejus had some special threads. Bottom brackets and headsets are the common things in this vein but dropouts and seat pin stays also are issues. I haven't even mentioned tubing size issues. Of course there is NC ? NF here in the US plus national arbor thread(s), standard coaster and/or quick release. Schwinn had some of it's own threads in the past. So did Sears Roebuck

Timothy, I hope you find the use(s) for those taps. I used to have books that told MOST various. cycling threads. That was 35 years ago. Never mind English sports cars or the Italian stuff. Good luck my friend. Morse tells me it was intended for machine use. Gun threads were mentioned and that indeed is a whole other plate of enchiladas.