I Forge Iron

clay?

ddwilson

some of these fellers are sayin use low grade,i.e. cheap kitty litter.that did not work for me.it has lots of black somethings in it .now I will dig it all out and try to screen it then re-line
it and see what happens.drive the dirt roads in your area and look at creekbanks and bar ditches to spot the clay.not all clay is red.yellow and tan can be found also.good luck

I read much about the use of clay and how it fails/falls apart and is generally a pain. I devised a fire pot from 1/4 steel that can be removed from the forge, unlike clay which is in there or isn't. I like to move the forge around, so this is sorta a convertible unit. The clay only serves to form a fire pot and/or protect the thin steel or cast iron bottom.

If you can get ahold of some steel, weld one up that sets inside the forge pan. It would be the last one you'd have to build.

I second Sreynolds. My current fire pot is steel with a thick plate and the bottom. But if you don't have that option (I didn't always)..
If using a bentonite clay designed to absorb urine or oil, giving it the time to hydrate properly is important. I like a little red clay mixed with my litter.
Giving it time to dry properly before firing is even more important. It can be done nice and neatly. If you just want to get the job done it can quick task. But expect cracking and crumbling. You can patch it, but wouldn't you rather do it the right way?
Air and low heat to begin the cure. Keep the outside moist. Then slowly fire the forge. Expect this to take several days depending on the size and how thick you build up the clay to for a firepot.