I Forge Iron

New to blacksmithing and on the lookout for my first anvil (and other stuff)

I am browsing around at the selection of new anvils that are available for domestic shipping. However, If you know of an anvil (new or used) in or around Oregon that is up for grabs I'd appreciate the info. I live in the Portland area.

Beyond an anvil, I need a lot of other stuff as well! I have my hammer, and will be looking to get the other basics here in the next few months as money allows.

You will save quite a bit by buying a used anvil. If you read up a bit on this forum, you will find a lot of great ideas on where to look, as well as what to look (and look out) for when buying used. There are quite literally tons of them out there:) Many are taking up space in a barn or garage, and the folks that have them don't think about them, until someone mentions them.
Unless you are really patient and know what you are doing, I personally don't recommend E-Bay. They run way too pricey there, IMO.
I'd start with Craigslist, and don't be shy about letting people around you know you are looking. I am currently following up a lead for what could be an entire shop's worth of tools for free, just from mentioning to a business aquaintance that I was preparing to build my shop.

I live in Beaverton I just sold a 119# Kohlswa. Craig'sList will have anvils at reasonable prices if you are willing to wait. I'd say our area has more anvils than people give it credit for.

You need to set up a search alert, or check 7-8 times a day.

PM me if you want to exchange numbers. I'll help as I can but am working 60-70 hours s week right now.

I looked thru the Portland area and its just about as bad as up here is on anvil prices lately. Just gotta keep looking and jump on it quick.

There are usually 1-4 anvils in CL for $3 a pound and up at any one time.
The key is the regular searching.
The 4 anvils I've bought in less than 2 years.
119# Kohlswa $130. Listed at 8am in my truck by 8:30
300# Fisher $360 listed at 10:30PM in my truck at 8:00am
157# Fisher listed at 6:00pm in my truck at 12:45pm the next day 15 minutes before the guy who called before me.
My 55# anvil was $140 it was on there for a week before I succumbed to my little voice.

I have seen no less than ten other anvils for around $1.00 a pound show up and have the listing gone in a matter of hours. If you only went by tfe anvils that sit on CL you'd think we were Incan anvil poor area...

Your return on your time investment will pay off. For example there was a 280# Peter Wright recently with a few tongs that sold for $350 or so..

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you want a new anvil you're awful close to where Nimba anvils are made aren't you? Finding a good used anvil is a matter of persistence, patience and luck. Tell literally everybody you know, meet or just run into, say in the men's room, or at the Inlaws for Thanksgiving dinner. EVERYBODY, EVERYWHERE.

Oh, here's a WILD idea, drive over to Fluidsteel's place and see if he'll turn loose of one. yeah, I know it's crazy but you just never know where one will turn up. Same for the other tools.

Frosty The Lucky.

Oh, here's a WILD idea, drive over to Fluidsteel's place and see if he'll turn loose of one. yeah, I know it's crazy but you just never know where one will turn up. Same for the other tools.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hahaha! ;-) But I NEED all my anvils. Lol.

I do know where there's a 250# Peter Wright just a sittin....

I use searchtempest.com to search craigslist and ebay at the same time. It's a very handy tool, but you have to be careful what key words you choose because not everyone selling an item might be using it. For example, "anvil" is very blacksmithy-ish, but it also brings up a lot of hits for people selling food prep stuff and music cases. "blacksmith" is a good one, but you'll get people trying to sell figurines or paintings with a blacksmith in the description.

The biggest expense you should be looking to spend on, though, isn't tools. You really need to attend some smithing classes to get a hang of the basic moves and establish a network. Who knows, you just might run into someone that has some gear to part with.....

I use searchtempest.com to search craigslist and ebay at the same time. It's a very handy tool, but you have to be careful what key words you choose because not everyone selling an item might be using it. For example, "anvil" is very blacksmithy-ish, but it also brings up a lot of hits for people selling food prep stuff and music cases. "blacksmith" is a good one, but you'll get people trying to sell figurines or paintings with a blacksmith in the description.
The biggest expense you should be looking to spend on, though, isn't tools. You really need to attend some smithing classes to get a hang of the basic moves and establish a network. Who knows, you just might run into someone that has some gear to part with.....

I just wrapped up a three day intro course. Definitely made some good contacts. I am going to do my best to go to the NWBA conference in Enumclaw. And I'm searching Craigslist right now!

Searching *people* will get you better deals than any online place trying to sell anvils! Deals will often have a better halflife too.

You can see what you are up against on Cl; but that person who has an old anvil out in the shed may be perfectly happy to leave it there until you can come by. (And when they ask *you* to put a price on it---if it's a decent anvil I always start at US$1 a pound, you can go higher but you sometimes will get it at they price!)

I met a farrier along my pool route. The other day I asked him if he had an extra anvil laying about that he would sell; he said " How big" ? It was then I knew he had a good one that he didnt mind parting with. I now have a 250# fisher in my shop. If I had asked him when I first talked to him a year ago, I might have scored it sooner. The point being ask EVERYONE you can think of, and you will eventually find a good one. F*&% ebay for anvils, 6-7 dollars a # is outrageous.