I Forge Iron

Early Hay Budden Anvil

New to the Forum, and wanted to share a wonderful find: just acquired an early Hay Budden Anvil...

Serial number: 1699
Overall length: 26-1/2"
Horn: 10"
Face: 16-1/2" x 4"
Hardie: 1-1/16"
Pritchel: 9/16"

Condition is really quite nice - no excessive wear or obvious damage. Markings are very strong, including "181", which I assume is the weight (haven't had a chance to check it yet).

I don't own a copy of AIA, but the serial number, 1699, would appear to be very early. Can anyone please tell me what year the anvil was made?

Many thanks...

post-27378-0-63144500-1347843774_thumb.j

post-27378-0-94014800-1347843787_thumb.j

post-27378-0-28917800-1347843797_thumb.j

post-27378-0-24586900-1347843808_thumb.j

Wow That is a treasure!!!!!!!!!! Its beautiful. It was made in the first year of production 1892 by HB. I would imagine that collectors would pay a small fortune for that anvil in that condition. Matchless antiques just sold a smaller HB anvil (108lbs) made in 1894 on ebay that they called mint and wasn't quite as nice as yours for over $720.
Good for you!

Thank you all for the information and input on my new acquisition. I am very excited to learn that the anvil is from the first year of production; for me, that makes it extra-special. Add to that the wonderful condition, and, well, I'm thrilled!

Making this an even better find, tho, was all the other great stuff that came along with it:

A small Champion Forge w/ hand-crank blower, (pan cracked and repaired but quite functional)
Swage Block (129 lbs) - 14-3/4" x 11-1/2" x 4-1/4"
Stake anvil (48 lbs) - 39-1/2" long w/ 20" tail
Bench shears (24 lbs) - 36" long w/ 8" jaws
Boynton & Plummer No. 8 Post Drill
Leg vise
Tongs, hammers, hardies and more...

A virtual turn-key setup, all in one shot!

MO, now that's what I'd call the "good" kind of hate!! :D

I know that this is the anvils forum, but at the risk of mis-posting, here are a couple of photos of the forge:

post-27378-0-95583000-1348064982_thumb.j post-27378-0-53975700-1348065007_thumb.j post-27378-0-08467900-1348065016_thumb.j post-27378-0-15859600-1348065029_thumb.j

I couldn't find a size designation anywhere, but the top measures 18" x 20" - anyone know which model it might be?

It would have been nice if the previous owner(s) had heeded the advice, "CLAY FORGE BEFORE USING", but I guess that's the way it goes...

Stewart, here's a question: what do you do with a great early anvil like this that's virtually "new in the box"?? Do you use it, or "preserve" it? It would seem that there will always be another good "used" anvil out there, but rarely one in this condition... An interesting conundrum!

I would say use it but carefully, keep grinders, cutting torches, welders, and sledge hammers well away. Not much you can do with a single hammer and hot iron to hurt an anvil.

your wife will find out about the scale eventually because some day you will put too much weight on it and break it. Don't ask me how I know this.

Personally, I think I'd try to find a collector that wanted that anvil enough to come up with some serious money. Yea, there's not much you can do to hurt it, but one bad swing of the hammer could chip the edge and decrease the value because the anvil is "as-new" condition. Maybe there's a collector out there that would part with some case AND a similarly sized anvil in a more used condition? I just hate to see something that rare get banged on. I'm weird, I know.

Great score overall. You've got some very valuable tools in that pile of stuff and will have years of good times ahead of you.

Vaughn, thank you for the prudent advice. As it turns out, I will likely not have to use this anvil, because today, believe it or not, I found a second one - ANOTHER Hay Budden!!! I just started another thread about it here:

http://www.iforgeiro...-rains-it-pours

And I swear, I couldn't make up this story if I wanted to!! I'm almost too stunned to believe it myself...

I really need to get some of that luck off of you!!! A FREE anvil?! Wow. Definitely a lucky fellow you are.

And now you can keep the mint-condition anvil in mint condition without worry. Your new anvil looks superb and I can't wait to see how your electrolysis works out.