I Forge Iron

khopesh inspired knife

Perrin Aybarra

Well google images hits 24,300 on Khopesh... I reckon a few of them have been forged! Not really hard to make such a shape BUT you would need all the basics of forging and heat treating if you want a useful weapon result. If you plan to start right in on one as soon as you get your anvil you will soon become frustrated and give up. So my advice is the same as most that you'll get on here... first learn basic blacksmithing and then heat treating and THEN you can realistically plan to make a Khopesh.

u would have to have a pretty big forge to ht a blade that big.I started makin a sword when i stared bcus i had the "i want to make a cool medieval sword"attitude it never got finished and never will.I am still a beginner but my advice is to forge some small knives drop points,neck knives etcetera get the basics down bfore u waste a big piece of steel.with every inch u add onto a knife u also add a lot of work just my two cents take it or leave it. Rhett

When you hammer the bevel onto the blade the steel has to go somewhere, it does not go away like grinding it. As the steel spreads out it forces the spine to curve away. A good way to experiment is to get some modeling clay, make a bar, and then hammer it the way you think it has to go. You will soon see what you need to do to get the desired results.

Good Luck, and post pics.

Another way of looking at this project is simplythis" a knife,tool or any other item we forge is a forging,,theskills needed apopoly to all of the items..when you master the basics they apply to almos teverything,,including the projucet you mention, When you learn how metal moves when differen tools are used each new item can be taken step by step...with out basics it is a struggle and many folks fai or give up.
Kepe an eye on keeping yoiu informed area for upcoming knife chat. We will deal with all kind os things you need....maybe some you do not know you need yet... :)

Actually you were pretty clear. What I am saying is that as an intermediate level smith you will be able to see how you can make the Khopesh shape... as a beginner level smith such a project is hopelessly beyond your abilities. You are seeking help that is so far beyond your ability to use it that it is pointless to pursue the subject. First you need to get yourself to that intermediate smith level and then you'll look about and suddenly realize that it is something you can see how to do already!

I say go for it if that is what you want. I assume you are not trying to make a living. If you are a beginner, the result probably wont be great but so what. You will gain experience.
I would get a 10 in piece of flat stock and weld a handle to hold and to be forged as the handle . Set down the front 6 in. or so by extending the piece over the far end of the anvil and strike with half hammer blows so the front is lower than the rear. Forge the front like any blade and when you form the bevel on the edge side, the steel will naturally bend in a banana shape. Forge the rear section like any knife. Make a counter bend (banana shape opposite the way the blade will normally bend) before forging in the bevel. Creating the bevel will,in theory, straighten the counter bend so you should end up with a straight back section.
Caution! I have never made or even heard of a Khopesh before so this is just how I would start out. If it doesnt work, try something else. That is the learning process. A beginner will be more limited by his eye than his hand. The coordination part is easy to gain.
I agree with the others that you should develope basic skills. As your eye improves, you will see your results can be improved. That should motivate you to work on the basics. More than one way to skin a cat. Good luck.