I Forge Iron

building stone forge

Azur Jahić

How high over the bellows opening do you stack your fuel and do you use charcoal or rock coal?

here in America we often use forges with the air inlet coming from the bottom. In England they often use forges with the air inlet coming in from the side (bottom blown and side blown forges) Which type are you using?

i use this homemade bellows when i today using it on a small pleace of wood just to see that it will blow it was be exelent but you must put something heavy on upper tube and that make a strong air i was making 2 leaver of pine but it was broke up and i will try to use metal instead of wood because when you work with leaver the pleace when it"s nailed get split and it "s good how air go to other side out of bellows i need to full other flaps

post-26717-0-12856100-1347397679_thumb.j

Both forges with air coming in from the side (side blown) and forges with air coming in from the bottom (bottom blown) will work. *if* your fuel is piled high enough.

What are you burning for fuel? Coal a mined product or Charcoal made from wood or Coke made from coal or petroleum

How large is your air pipe into the forge?

the pipe is 40 cma i used poorly wood but i heard that blacksmith in my village make his own charcoal from plum three Plum three is have a lot of energy do you think is the posible to make you own charcoal .If it what kind of wood to use .i dont have hickory i have hornbeam ,oak pine.

Making your own charcoal is very possible if you are in the country. Almost any wood can make charcoal for blacksmithing but hardwoods are better.

I prefer the method that use a 55 gallon oil drum suspended over a wood fire with a pipe attached to burn off the gasses produced. The pipe runs under the barrel and so helps to create the heat needed.

is 40 cm the size of your forge? It is very large for the air pipe from the bellows to the forge. They tend to be more like 2-5 cm.

Discussion on charcoal making: here

it was rainy day i will tomorow try to use mudd and stone to build forge I think it will better to digg tomorw and i wlil see result of my bellows whan i build stone forge can i use mud or clay to build stone forge to use it instead of cemment Ca i use mud or clay to keep stone tied

I think you just asked if you can use mud as mortar to keep the stones in place. You sure can, been done for tens of thousands of years. Heck you can make mud brick and it'll work maybe even better than stones. If you pick the wrong type of stone and it's too close to the fire they can explode and send shrapnel flying.

One really important thing to remember, building a forge, it's just a fire place, something to hold a fire with a couple added features so you can supply air, stack fuel and lay work. Keep it as simple as possible, you can get fancy when you know more from hands on experience.

Frosty The Lucky.

A forge is just a hole in the ground raised up to a convenient height.

Be careful not to use stones that explode when heated for the part of the forge near the fire!

I build an early medieval forge out of clay, straw, sandysoil and form it on top of a fire safe rock with a piece of 5cm pipe through the side wall for the bellows to blow in. I leave a small space between the bellows tip and the pipe through the wall so I can keep the bellows from sucking in fire. (I use two bellows and have them so one is pushing air into the forge while the other is pulling air into itself---like the Vikings used---helps to keep them from sucking in fire if they are timed right.)

I am offline till Tuesday most likely.

i give up for beign blacksmith it maybe too early for me :i make today fire with wood but i dont have a coal i think i wlill ceep my profession of plumber with acyetlene torch and someday who know build gas accetylene forge because i dont have a good fuel for forge ,and whan i use my hairdryer i get heat metal only one red cherry color. i think i will pause of smithing whan i relaised that is not easy to heat temperaturing metal since i ruined my old axe

Plumbing is respectable work. Perhaps it's because I see myself in you that I say this. Stay diligent. You're obviously intelligent. You can learn new things, like language. I struggle enough with english as a native tongue :P so I imagine it was difficult. You're obviously not using an online translator. My advice is that while you show remarkable ingenuity and intelligence.. you should attempt to apply what skills you have in your attempt to build a forge. Consider it a plumbing problem with heat. Your forge is a sink, the drain is your air source... For fuel your burning wood must be starved of enough oxygen not to completely burn but have enough oxygen for a short time to provide enough heat, not fire, to convert to charcoal. Fire is just a means to an end. With a plan you will secede. Just consider where you want to go and how you want to get there. It will not be easy but I'm a firm believer that the journey is as important as the destination. Perhaps your reasons for wanting to pursue blacksmithing is not for an enjoyment of the craft. If so then you will likely not be successful as there are many other aspects to blacksmthing (like forge construction for instance but not limited to that solely) that are somewhat less enjoyable. Being able to build a forge is something anyone can do. If you're looking for a career then there will be many more challenges ahead. So do what you must. But life is short and you'll only have so much time in your youth. So prepare for your future.