I Forge Iron

Guess who now owns a Fisher anvil???

:D That's right, folks. I won the bidding and am now the proud owner of a Fisher anvil in near mint condition. She's a right beauty, with perfect lines and a good heft to her. :wub:

Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to get her home! Anyone near Princeton care to take a road trip?

$T2eC16J,!)cE9s4PsM9rBQNBhQj8qQ~~60_57.J

Congrats on the anvil. I am mostly around till Labor Day, then back to teaching. If you are making the trip, I am 30 miles from Exit 7A on the NJ Turnpike. PM me for the exact address if you think you will make it through when I am around.

Last year when I went to Rockingham speedway from here, it took 10 hours and right at 600 miles. Where you are going is about 4 1/2 hours north of here. All of these times assume no traffic problems. I always leave by 4 am and try to travel on Sunday. Labor Day weekend...who knows.

$537.27 Someone bumped it up with 2 seconds on the clock, but they didn't bump it up higher than my max bid!! Not bad for my first time ever using ebay for something other than a reference site.

I can't believe that someone else didn't jump on the deal. All the pictures show this baby to be as close to new as you can get, and the size is just about perfect for anybody. Weird, but I'm perfectly happy believing it was simply meant to be!

The seller said it is was between 320 and 350. The face is 5" wide and the o/a length is 29"... so I'm guessing it will only be 300#.

Update: Another Fisher anvil just popped up on Ebay and it's got larger measurements all around. Looks like my new anvil is going to be significantly below 300#. This seller states that his 286# anvil (which is really nice, btw) has a 5.25" wide face and an o/a length of 32".

If it takes that much anvil to still weigh under three bills, there's no way that the anvil I bought could possibly go over that mark.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/286-Pound-Fisher-Anvil-Excellent-Condition-/230844450391?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bf66c657#ht_500wt_1021

I think yours looks 280?
My 300# Fisher's specs. 1913
Face 5-1/4"x19"
OAL(minus 3" or so of horn) 27-3/4"
Height 14"
Base not including lugs 13"longx12"wide

My 157# is 25" OAL
4"x15" face
11-3/4" high
Base minus lugs is 10-1/2"Lx10"W

That does look like a beauty! Congrats!

Vaughn,

You should try and time your pick up in MA to coincide with the New England Blacksmiths' fall meet in Bolton, Ma in early September. http://www.newenglandblacksmiths.org/spring_&_fall_meets.htm. You could get your new anvil and make a fun hammer-in weekend out of it.

• 2 months later...

Lost track of this thread so I thought I'd post a few pictures of my newest friend. She's certainly a beauty!

The body measures 5,25" wide, but they called it 5" even because of the slight chipping along the edges. Silly gooses!!

Very stout young lady and well worth the time. Figuring in the cost of purchase and the cost of shipping, I got her home for just a hair over $2/lb. That's a win-win situation in my book!!

AnvilampStandassemblycomplete.jpg
Anviledge2.jpg
Anviledge.jpg

Now it's time to fire up the forge and work some devil's bone!

Thanks, FS. The edges are solidly chipped for the entire perimeter, but the chips are actually very nice because they've basically removed the sharp corner in exactly the way anyone would want. All I'll have to do is take a flap wheel to smooth them up and the radii will be perfect.

She does sit tall; the face is right at 36" from the floor. My lower back is shot and anything too low would have had me stooping a bit. It does feel a bit odd, but I'd rather have to worry about my elbow blowing out rather than my elbow AND back going south on me.

Best of all, she works! I just built a stacked-brick forge using my weed torch for heat, and can tell you that it's going to take me some time to get used to working on such a large anvil.

John, I'm just as curious, but I haven't been able to find a heavy scale.