I Forge Iron

First forge welded laminate steel blade

digger9523

Well,

i finally got around to sourcing some 15n20 steel and spent a good chunk of Saturday over a hot forge attempting to forge weld it with some honest 01.

I'm over the moon with my first attempt, (it was a special moment watching the layers appear after a few minutes in some hydrochloric at work this morning) by no means a masterpiece, but with no training other than hundreds of Youtube videos and a bit of advice from Mick Maxen the night before, i waded in with my usual "If somebody else can do it, surely i can as well" attitude and produced This monstrosity:

IMG_0232.jpg
IMG_0231.jpg

The pics are terrible, but it needs some more shaping and eventually a stick tang will be dovetailed and welded on. Thinking of a brass guard, or i may get adventurous and do another piece on laminate steel for it, then either DI or Bog Oak for the handle.

This constitutes my 5th time doing any kind of blacksmithing, so all in I've had about 13-14 hours experience knocking around hot metal, so be gentle with me!

Started out with a stack of 7 pieces of steel, 4x 15n20 and 3x 01. Folded the billet twice after drawing out so it's 28 layers by my reckoning

smile.gif

Arm was getting a bit weak by the end of the day!

Thanks for looking, comments and abuse welcomed!

PS, I'm saying Laminate steel blade as I'm not sure whether this would qualify for the name Damascus.

For 13-14 hrs at the anvil I'm thinking you have a bold, bright future as a blacksmith. I to love low layer count pattern welded pieces the contrast is so much better.

Sure it needs more time at the grinder but there's NO hurry, take it slow and easy and it'll turn out to be a thing of beauty you'll love for life.

Calling it laminate steel blade is fine, that's what it is but Pattern welded is the common moniker and Damascus is a different critter to really deserve the name, similar but way different.

Please keep us in pics of your projects, I'd like to ride along vicariously, it's going to be a grand journey.

Frosty the Lucky.

Thanks a lot Frosty, that's very kind of you to say so :wub:

My next session I'm planning another 7 layer piece, but with a thicker 5mm core of 01 as the cutting edge. I won't fold the next one, so it will stay as the 7 layers, but i think/hope with a higher grind it should still look good.

Another project for the future is creating a 'Hamon' in a knife blade..... :)