I Forge Iron

Wine Bottle Candle Holder

jeremy k

Due to some requests,
I am posting the only picture I could find of a wine bottle candle holder Ive made. This shows the "guts" of it, LOL. The bottle holder is made from 1/4 inch round stock, the top circular loop holds the bottle from the inside just below the neck of the bottle. There is a spiral tray for a votive candle (use only candles with aluminum tray [container to hold the wax from dripping all over everything]). I usually put a leaf on the bottom for decoration, and in this case it has a wall mount hanger. - JK

Oh the bottle bottom I cut with a glass cutter but can aternatively done the blacksmith way - heat up a ring to red/orange heat - made from 3/4in stock, turn the bottom of the bottle inside the ring while all is setting on a metal table/plate for a few turns to heat the bottom of the bottle, then quickly put the bottom of the bottle in the slack tub/water bucket to "pop" the bottom off the bottle.

post-280-0-22560200-1345684593_thumb.jpg

the technique that i use for bottles is to fill with water to the level i want the break and then use the hot ring. saves from having to carry and dip a hot bottle, and the possibility of glass shards in the slack tub.
there are many ways to skin a cat!

btw, love the holder JK!

This is not my original idea, as they have been made before I started blacksmithing.
I had learned how to make these at one of my first blacksmithing meetings I had attended with the current group I'm actively involved in, and this was the demonstration for the night.
Yes in Minnesota - we do have quite a few winerys. making me thirsty now....

Is the cut clean and even using these methods as opposed to a glass cutter scoring? I want to use this idea using the champagne bottle from a friends wedding and will only get one shot at getting it right!
I am thinking these would be cool on a smaller beer bottle scale for porch or camp lighting as well.

Pug- it goes together just as shown (Imagine the bottle overlapping the holder image)
The top loop (at the 2" mark) needs to be thin enough to pass through the neck of the bottle, the second loop (at 9") fits where the bottleneck tapers (to hold the bottle)
The bend at the 13 and 14" mark is what thew me off, i thought it was to hold the weight of the bottle, but apparently it's just to center the candle base which is the bottom swirl at 17".
The bottom loop is purely decrorative which is cool because you can hang anything you want from it. (Although I do like the leaf!)

The wall mount hook is also nice, but i like the idea of using an open hook at the top so you can hang some of these from tree branches.

I need to start drinking to get some bottles for practice! :rolleyes:

MOst champagne bottle I have seen are very dark green. So...if you use a little votive candle it will be like a flashlight in a cathouse...some of the light will escape through the bottom.

BTW Stan I have introduced the same project to some of my friends down here. This weekend we will have more glass products to play with. And I am thinking about putting a recharge battery system inside one to hang on my fishing pier. Who knows...the fish may be able to find their way around with the new beacon.

Carry on

• 3 weeks later...