I Forge Iron

AndrewOC

Have finally got this tank and stand to a stage where it will hold water... and is worth showing.

post-8233-0-62947300-1344337263_thumb.jp

Vice is a 6".
Plate for tank is weathered 3/8" hull plate circa 1927.
Has sleds to allow pallet jack to easily move around.
There is a chrome tap (american-speak=faucet?) for filling bucket or watering can.
Drain cock on lower corner.
Overflow point at top with hose fitting to lead water away.
enjoy,
Andrew O.

I like it!

Do you have a strainer basket installed in the bottom to be able to pull up pieces that accidentally find their way to the water? Or perhaps a lid so if you are working with high carbon stuff it *can't* find it's way to the water. (I've had knife blanks do the oddest flips to figure a way to hit a slack tub and destroy themselves.)

Thomas, definitely next on the drawing board. I'm thinking a pair of flip over lids in 1/8" steel or maybe the 3/4" ply i can lay my hands on.
I'm a bit stuck for the sieve bottom though how fine is a good size? Don't have any material already.
Thinking of a shelf and strainer bucket hanging over the side.
Sam and Iron, thats' the coolest idea!
I had only thought using the tank as a blacksmiths' hot tub- ya know, heat up a 5" ball and drop it in...
A.

We have a lot of rock shaker screen around these parts to provide mesh in a variety of sizes and found cheap in the wild or at the scrap yard. Size is dependent on what you do---lot's of 1/4" work then 1/8" would be a good size; mostly 3/8 and above then 1/4"; etc. Usually comes down to what you find cheap...

Though on hot days leaning over and immersing your arm to the shoulder to fish around for a piece can be rather nice.

so its just a big slack tub ? used for knife makeing ?

Yeah, quenching, puttin out fires... plus the extra uses above.
Could be a new challenge thread; see how many 'unusual' uses can be thought of for slack tubs.
Not for knife making specifically, we do industrial/ toolmaking bis and pieces at the sydney heritage fleet, but the tank is meant to be adaptable.
a.

Well it's a weight for an anvil stand. I use a 55 US gallon Barrel with a bung near the base for a travel set up.

Fill with water and it's nearly 500 pounds of Vise stand, empty of water and pop the vise off and I can lift it with one hand and throw it in the truck and fill it with scrap metal.

And having that much water to hand calms many a site owner who is afraid that a forge shoots fire all over and chases folks around.

All of you are wrong!
For the first time ever I can see a nice size crawdad cooker for the work site! Cook em' up...use that thing on the end to hold your plate or brew...throw the residue out the door...enjoy until the boss comes in.
Put all the salt and stuff you want into the mix and never have it rust our in your lifetime....Jealous of you friend. All us poor guys where I life have to use those shinny aluminum tanks to cook our bugs in. Maybe when I grow up I can have a multi-tasking counterweight like that!
Carry on

The sieve for removing the drop ins could be just a smaller tub with a hole in it...may take a bit of time to drain... bigger holes quicker to drain but fewer drop-ins rescued...but wait I can see a perfect bit of mesh in the background of your picture....one dark night...

Remembered to write down the dimensions inside the tub today; 610mm x 750mm x 660mm deep.
By using the ever helpful Mass 3j calculator, the weight in water would be ~300kg or 665lbs. Add the plate; (+150kg), 450kg or (+331lb) 996lb.
coool!
Should be able to tweak crow bars in the vice without pulling it over now.
a.

• 4 years later...