I Forge Iron

New from southern California

Chinobi

Hi all,

Found the site while scouring the net for information regarding Mokume Gane a few weeks ago and have since been defaulting here for just about everything forge related :D

I am a civil engineer by trade and a small scale silversmith by hobby, but my interest in Mokume has drawn me more into larger scale smithing. Being realistic, Mokume would probably be 95% of what I end up doing, at least for the forseable future.

I skimmed the list of threads in the local groups section but i didnt see anything much closer to where i live (Ventura, CA) than Arizona, is anyone familiar with any organizations or members that may be more local than the next state over?

Thank you all as well for hosting such a great site for discussion and sharing of knowledge!

I look forward to getting more involved here in the near future B)

Chinobi: Welcome, I live in Simi Valley, Ca. and you have a great Blacksmith School near you. It's call Adam's Forge. Adam Leventhal was a L.A. blacksmith who the school is named after. The school is located near the 5 Freeway, and the Fletcher exit not to far from Griffith Park. There really isn't any other schools north of ventura or south of L.A. is Vista near San Diego.

Im really looking forward to it! i built up a set of clamp plates for QSO mokume, I may bring it with me and see if i can try it out in a propper heat source, that is if there is enough time for personal projects or if they allow the use of the facility after the class has ended.

So I attended the Adam's forge discovery day on sunday and had a lot of fun, lot of good people there and I got to have some good conversations with the instructors and assistants.

Heres the letter opener i forged, I believe we started with about 8" of 3/8" square stock. Rubbed bronze highlights on the twist and cutting edge of the blade. Finished length is just about 9 1/4". Im pretty happy with the way it came out, certainly room for improvement, but not too bad for the first 4 hours of the trade :D

post-26562-0-48904700-1344971882_thumb.j

A belated Welcome aboard, good to have you.

I grew up in the San Fernando Valley and moved to Simi a couple weeks after the 71 earthquake, we lived between the hospitals that collapsed. Quite the ride don't you know. <grin>

So much for reminiscing about old neighborhoods. That's pretty good for a first go at the anvil, be sure you keep it so you can track how much you progress in the craft. Hooking up with CBA and a school will really level the learning curve, there's nothing like having someone to point out mistakes let alone show you tips, tricks and efficient orders of process.

Don't be a stranger here either, we love good questions, they make us think and there's always several someones happy to answer them, even if we have to make something up.

Frosty The Lucky.