I Forge Iron

Carpathian Knives

dancho

My latest vison of Carpathian knives for everyday life.

The blades are pure forged without grinding from 1 percent carbon steel . Then filed and hand polished on a water stone. Then zone hardened in wax and oil while being already sharpened. Length is about 10 cm. Geometry -- ancient three dimensional wedge.

The handles are wallnut. The bounds and rivets are of copper.

Carvings are made by my wife Yalina and depict authentic ancient Carpathian patterns.

The sheaths made of wax impregnated leather and repeat the same carved patterns as on handles

post-12722-0-62577600-1343395653_thumb.j

post-12722-0-13794200-1343395724_thumb.j

post-12722-0-85211200-1343395968_thumb.j

Of all the places in the world I have wanted to visit the Carpathian Mountains is top on my list when the lotto comes my way. Love the authenticity of those knives. These days everything must be bling and I am so sick of shiny.

Of all the places in the world I have wanted to visit the Carpathian Mountains is top on my list when the lotto comes my way. Love the authenticity of those knives. These days everything must be bling and I am so sick of shiny.

Can say the same about South Africa. Come visit me whenever have chance !

Thanks! The shiny goes away quckly when you start using it turning into pitiful. The real beauty is revelaled by life.

I'm right there with ya when it comes to that rustic, hand forged look. If it's differentially hardened, why not do a acid bath to show the line?

Why bother? Cut some anions or aples and the line reveals itsself. Sharpen it and it will dissapear (you sharpen the whole plane of the blade with this geometry). It is not fancy damascus. They are meant for life

(Though I assume you do drink wine...)

Oh yes I do! Live in a wine making country after all.

Thanks Thomas!

Why bother? Cut some anions or aples and the line reveals itsself. Sharpen it and it will dissapear (you sharpen the whole plane of the blade with this geometry). It is not fancy damascus. They are meant for life

Some pictures to illustrate what I said above. First is taken in the morning after cutting vegetables for the evenening meal. The temper line is seen well. Second one after sharpening the knife on two water stones set for 5 min or so. A regular procedure.
And another demonstration why damascus is meaningless on ancient real forged knife blades with three wedge geometry. At least on the cutting edge.

post-12722-0-96788500-1344102366_thumb.j

post-12722-0-34849200-1344102391_thumb.j

• 6 months later...