I Forge Iron

Antique Champion forge blower. Design date of 1876. Double wheel and belt driven

hans138

hey guys im going to pick this bad boy up, and i dont really know much about it, except that its the coolest old blower ive seen. does any body have any info. like how much there worth. its totally operational and stands about five feet tall. any input would awesome.

post-23420-0-97207500-1342830031_thumb.jpost-23420-0-02640600-1342830096_thumb.j

Never seen one like that myself but it is very cool. Does it mount to the floor like you have it setting? or underneath something. Nice find regardless. Thanks for posting the pics.
Ken

it bolts to the floor, and its HEAVY. i would say its about 150lbs maybe even 200. ive looked all over the net and cant find pics of it, but there was one just like it made by PENNA ELECTRIC. and the weird thing is the PENNA ELCT one was also made in lancaster PA. the same place that champion was made.

I've seen this style before in catalogs and online, but never in person. Always wondered if the double belt, double wheel style predated the more compact geared blower we all know and love or if they existed side by side with them.

http://vandm.com/Antique-Hand-Crank-Blacksmith-Forge-Blower/1_266_product=374082.aspx#

http://www.americanartifacts.com/smma/advert/ay149.htm

I tried to rig up something like this out of bicycle gear and pedal parts, back before I got a blower (s), and top heavy was the problem. Two hacked up and bolted back together bike frames was always ready to topple, even bolted to a board.

Nice find! use it well

dont have it yet, i sent off some money for him to hold it. so no in depth pics for a week or two. and it is very top heavy, even at 150-200#'s a child could knock it over. thats one reason the guy wants to sell it, his kids have almost done that a few times. he doesnt want it to be destroyed. he sent me a orignal advertisement but its to hard to read. its def a 1867 model. and i would guess these pre-date the internal geard blowers buy a few decades.

Got to see one of these in an antique store the other week. Guy wanted close to a grand for it because it was so "rare". If it had been in working condition, I might have bought it as it's the only one I have ever seen. It definitely looks like it would put out the air, and those large wheels are going to keep the fan spinning for awhile after you stop turning. At least, I would think they would.

I love the lines of the thing. I can't imagine a company today making a product and putting in all those curves and curls.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I'm looking at the same exact blower but the one I'm looking at was cut in half and welded back together farm fresh no belts for $250 . Did you ever find out how much its worth or any info for that matter. As Vaughn T said the lines of it are awesome. I'm gonna go back tomorrow and offer him $200. Any info would be greatly appreciated Thanks

• 2 years later...