I Forge Iron

my version of a rivet forge

Pug}{maN

Yea, buddy! The air pressure will form a "pillow" of air in the dirt leg.

I'm seeing that baby with a 1" rim around it and some legs that have a sweet curve to them to match the flow of the air line. Maybe some more frame parts can be scavenged and repurposed??? Got a spare Springer front end laying around?

Great idea using a plow blade, it made me look at all the old rusty plows we have lying around the farmlands out here in a different light.
I saw one with "harrow" blades that were ruffled a bit, and I laughed that it would look like a big flower if it were set horizontally , but the indents would be great for holding stock in different directions. (see attatched stock pic)
Any lady smiths out there want to build a flower-forge? :D

post-22216-0-00549500-1343012634_thumb.j

i got a order for a coat rack and some dinner bells so i have been doing that , its all sitting there , just the time and not 105 dgrees outside. been sleeping till late and getting up and working till 3 or 4 in the morning...

• 9 months later...

Great idea using a plow blade, it made me look at all the old rusty plows we have lying around the farmlands out here in a different light.
I saw one with "harrow" blades that were ruffled a bit, and I laughed that it would look like a big flower if it were set horizontally , but the indents would be great for holding stock in different directions. (see attatched stock pic)
Any lady smiths out there want to build a flower-forge? :D

Jim, those scalloped discs are great for making hoes. Many old farmers around here swear by them.

I am liking the idea of using a disk.... Its sort of  a intuitive step up from a brake drum forge.... Idea of using disk has floated through my gray matter, will have to watch for a disk for my next effort....

Also would like to see forge alight....

Dale

• 5 months later...

Sorry to drag up this old thread but thought it better than starting a new one.

I've acquired a plow disc just like this one and fancy having a go at making it into a portable forge. The disc has a crack right over the hole, I'm guessing they're just regular steel and weld up ok?

The edges have rusted quite thin too so they'll need to be ground back a bit.

Does anyone else use this style of forge?

Andy