I Forge Iron

Hello from PA

mammooth

Hi all,

I've been a member of the site for a few months now, and am enjoying all of the resources and discussions. I just thought I'd introduce myself. I've been a woodworker for many years, but just recently started smithing. I'm in New Cumberland, in central Pennsylvania (still waiting for my pin to pop up on the member map for the site), and am a high school and college history teacher.
I've attached a few pix of my humble shop. It was originally a smoke house, so the dirty bricks on the inside lend a nice atmosphere I think.
My forge is constructed out of a heavy old child's wagon with a layer of firebrick mortared in with fireplace mortar, a cast iron basement drain from Home Depot as a firepot (with a little removable cast iron grate), a few 1-1/2" pipe fittings for a tuyere, a paint roller handle with a hunk of steel riveted on as a clinker breaker, a wood stove blower housing refitted with the motor from an old kitchen juicer, and a standard Sears shop stand. The hood, as you can probably see, is an old wheelbarrow. Most of my other tools I've made myself (like the spring swages hanging up) or bought on eBay or at antique shops. I'm still in the market for a new anvil, as the one I have in the picture is one of the old cast steel harbor freight specials.

Thanks, any comments, suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.

2173.attach

2174.attach

2175.attach

2176.attach

Mammooth,
Welcome to IFI.
Your small shop is very interesting to me at this time.
Would you please tell me what the dimentions are of your shop.
Out city ord. says I can't build an out-building that has a foot print over 120 sq. ft.
I was considering a 12'x10' or a 15' x 8', just so I could do light forging in.
Would you please comment on how well your shop works for you.
Be safe!
Ted

I do not see where your pin was placed on the map. Please try again.

I like the forge set up, good use of materials. If the forge smokes, I would suggest that you either lower the hood or attach sides to it to limit the air intake to grab more smoke.

There is a 350# anvil available in the tailgating section of IFI. You may have to set your display options to a longer time interval to view it, but last time I heard it was still looking for a good home.

Ted,

It's 90" X 90" outside, 73" square inside. I have a bit of room, I would be more comfortable with more space, but I installed a split door so I could keep the bottom closed without feeling cramped. I also just haul the anvil outside sometimes.

Mammooth,
Thank you very much for your reply.
I am so fat that it takes up a space that is 56.25 sq. ft. just for me to stand in.
Thanks to you, I feel like I am designing a blacksmithing palace with it going to be 120 sq. ft.
The whole reason for wanting to build a compact open air forging shed is because I have “reactive lung disease”. Bottom line, I have a need for an abundance of fresh air.
By having a dedicated area to use just for forging, I figure I can design the shed to ventilate well by taking advantage of the dominate wind direction. In addition, I plan on building the sides so the upper three feet will be open with only bars or screen installed.
It should help dissipate the heat created by the forge and promote free air circulation.
I do have a 30' x 30' Shop. Of which 12' x 29' is dedicated to welding and metal finishing. I use a “Fume Extractor” when I weld. Until now I have had to do my forge work out in the open, then hurry and try to put everything away during bad weather or when ever I had to leave.
I will continue to do my grinding and finish work inside the welding shop as I do now.
In the welding part of my shop, I installed a ceiling this past winter that is insulated. Because of the cost benefit ratio, I have a need ($) to keep heat inside during the winter months without having to loose the heat by venting the heat to the outside.
If this shop works out well, I will post photos. If it doesn’t, I will just name it my “Hall Of Shame”
Thanks again.
Be safe!
Old Rusty Ted