I Forge Iron

First Wall Hook

Rebar is not the best stuff to start with *unless* you need the patterns in it's surface. Otherwise you are spending time getting rid of those patterns that would have paid for better steel to start with.

I only use rebar for tent stakes where the profit margin is so low that free stock is the only kind it's worth my while to use.

They don't come out off a little, it is part of the learning curve to put them right,

You are in control of what happens with your workpiece, if you want it curve you curve it, if you want it straight you straighten it,

Look along the axis and you can usually see where the offending section is

You can use bending forks, scrolling tongs or hammer and anvil or any combination of useful tools

Just find the section that is high or causing the problem and bring it into line, this could be done on the anvil over the hardie hole, or in the vise and use the pressure of the jaws to straighten the offending bit, or clamp in the vise and straighten with tongs or bending forks.

You may find you have to do this repeatedly until you are happy with the piece.

Some are happy with the wonky rustic look, others like things right, thats down to the individual, as a first attempt its a good start and you know you can improve on it, it will be interesting for you to compare it with another similar one you make in the future and to see how you have improved.

Good luck and have fun

Agree with JohnB...if you want it straight, make it straight. Let me suggest that instead of making your scroll run to the inside of the hook, turn it out. The will keep your coat, hat, or whatever from hanging up on the scroll. Don't be discouraged by our comments, just helping. It's a good first attemp and with these suggestions you will be even happier with your next on. Keep this one as a reminder and watch yourself improve! Ain't it FUN tho!

It didn't come out wonky you just have not finished it yet. You can do several things to finish it, you could counter sink the screw hole with a large center punch then put some texture on the tab that will help blend the screwdriver slot so it doesn't show as much. Flare or round the top end above the screw hole, that will finish that end and draw the eye away from the screw. As John and Tom said you can take the bend out of the center section. If you would like to see what it looks like with the scroll the other way as Tom said just heat the round section above it and twist it 180 then reshape the hook. Round twisted is still round, let me fix alot of mistakes. Your work is a great start I just want you to know that the cool part of working iron is you can often rework it till you like it. When I work with wood when it gets to a certain point it is what it is you either have to use it or scrap it. You have made a good start on a long and satisfiing journey. No matter what you do with that hook keep it and look at it a year from now then 5 years from now and you will be amazed how much your work gets better. Get it hot and hit it.

I remember some three years ago, I picked up my first blacksmith hammer. The trainer at the Historical Society trained me on walk hooks. 1/4 square and 7 inches long. I had to "draw" out the "eye". Then form the eye on the top corner of anvil. Cool the eye then form the "hook" on the horn by hitting on the eye to initiate the bend over the horn, then hammer a flat on the top (other end) for a nail/screw hole. Then twist it, just below the nail hole. LOTS of work for a first timer. I thought I must have been off my rocker.......He showed me once, then my turn. Had to do it all in one heat. Just kidding. Took me an hour and twenty seven heats.

The most difficult thing for me was to figure out which direction to bend the hook after I had formed the eye. The eye is rolled one direction, then the hook the other. The hook would be opposite of what you had made,,,, Scrolled outwards as others had stated above. I couldn't get the picture in my mind, especially since you make them from the back side. Like I was trying to tie a bow-tie looking in the mirror!!

It gets easier as time goes by. Keep at it, and someday you will be the one to demonstrate a hook in three minutes as other watch on in bewilderment.

I still make hooks (complicated ones) as they are a favorite among shoppers at the Society store.

I'm also fairly new to all of this, and i'm constantly reworking finished projects. It's true you can always rework a project until you like it. (Be careful though, there were times i've reworked a project to the scrap bin!)
Since I also sometimes lack stock material, when I see an idea i'd like to try I've been known to take a finished hook or something and using it to make something else.
That's the fun of it all!