I Forge Iron

Making Tongs

Charles McDonald

Hello there, Im pretty new here and practically just as new to Blacksmithing. Ive been on a tong making spree since ive started and It's not going to end any time soon. Ive come to really enjoy making these and every pair seems to get easier and better, but I have a long way to go yet :-)
Just thought Id share with you this first bunch and see what you guys think of them...

hmm I tried to upload a photo but apparently im unable too...

Ah I tried to go to "edit" to re-upload the photo in a smaller size, but the edit screen doesnt open up for me. I think im just terrible at computers ha ha!
I appreciate the suggestion though and I'll remember that next time I try to post a photo. Thank you Phil!

Pug Man I sent the photo your way! Thank you very much for offering to help!

Very nice looking tongs Mate. If this is how you're starting out, I look forward to seeing what you'll produce in the future.

I too am fairly new to this stuff and have produced a few sets of tongs. I then took a leaf from Sam Salvati's book and have started making them from vehicle coil spring straightened out. Have a go, you'll notice the difference.

Well done.....

Good work. Just a note about needle-nose, so called scrolling tongs. My first pair I made of mild steel. When I used them, I applied pressure and the jaws sprung open. Henceforward, I made them all out of 5/8" round coil spring which is normalized for the heat treat. Plenty strong.

Thank you guys for the great complements!
Frank I was actually a bit worried about that, I havent put them to heavy use, but I though perhaps my bits were a little too long not allowing for enough leverage. I aim to pick up some coil springs soon and ill give that a go. Thanks for the suggestion!

Well, if that's an example of your work after only a little time at the forge, I really look forward to seeing what you can do in another year or three!

Each pair demonstrates excellent hammer control and an eye for detail. Great work.

EGreen, Thank you!
I used
1 Part Bees Wax
1 Part Terpentine
1/2 Part Lineseed Oil
I applied this with a large brass brush until the coulour I want is acheived usually brown and not bronze so I'll vary the brass coating by the heat of the metal or use a soft stainless brush to take it away as needed.
Their actually more brown in colour then the photo shows.

Nice tongs, I lie your edge grip, flat bar tongs they came out nice.
My favorite material for making tongs is sucker rod. This is the steel rods they use in oil wells. We can get seconds here as well as used rod. I just forge them and use them as forged. They have plenty of spring and don't get as hard as coil spring which I have had break a time or two. If you overheat the springs when forging it can become pretty brittle where the sucker rod is a little more forgiving. Also if you get the tongs really hot the carbon content in the sucer rod wont usually get too brittle if you quench it. I have heard they are usually not more than 40 points carbon and either 41 or 43 series steel.

Steve H, Thank you very much for the complement! I definitely need to work on my timing with these, but I'll get it with practice.
I have seen your work while looking on the web for different places that offer classes in the area; Definitely Impressive workmanship!
I would like to maybe stop by sometime and discuss with you perhaps taking a class...
I am so new to this, but I’m incredibly interested and want to build a good foundation to start off.

Jake

Most folks start making hammers. I made tongs. For some reason I saw them as more challenging and let my hammer-making skills slack. Now I'm trying to catch up and am finding out how hard it can be to make a decent hammer!

Most folks start making hammers. I made tongs. For some reason I saw them as more challenging and let my hammer-making skills slack. Now I'm trying to catch up and am finding out how hard it can be to make a decent hammer!

I don't know - I'm still in the tong-making phase, because I bought a hammer from the hardware store, but I only have a vicegrips to grab hot metal with! So I need to make tongs, lest I burn my fingers off.

Nice tongs. I notice that the bottom 3 are better suited to hang from a piece of strap or stand or whatever. This feature is a very nice thing in that the handles don't stick out. My tong making skills pale in comparison to many but as anything, practice and repetition are the key for me.