I Forge Iron

hand grinder

I have one on my demo set up AND I also have one mounted on the stump for my shop leg vice. Yes, I have an electric grinder in my shop. But sometimes it's just faster and easier to touch something up right by the forge. I agree. They are cool and I also agree that they are a magnet for kids of all ages. :)

Those are handy, but not good for heavy grinding. If little kids are around secure the handle or they won't leave it alone (or at least my daughter wouldn't leave it alone).

They are handy for dressing tools, and have an advantage of not building up heat like powered grinders (although they still heat the metal up, just not as fast)

Phil

If little kids are around secure the handle or they won't leave it alone (or at least my daughter wouldn't leave it alone).

Phil

At risk of turning this thread upside down, I disagree, I would let my son (when he was say 6-8) play/experiment with something like this after a tutorial and safety glasses..... :o ......When he was two or three my boy was facinated with the wood stove when it was really hot.....I was starting it up one day and well before it got up to temp I sat back on the couch and watched....He touched it and got the message, and he never touched it again. With little kids around the shop should be locked anyway when you're not around.......now rip me a new one...... B)

At risk of turning this thread upside down, I disagree, I would let my son (when he was say 6-8) play/experiment with something like this after a tutorial and safety glasses..... :o ......When he was two or three my boy was facinated with the wood stove when it was really hot.....I was starting it up one day and well before it got up to temp I sat back on the couch and watched....He touched it and got the message, and he never touched it again. With little kids around the shop should be locked anyway when you're not around.......now rip me a new one...... B)

My daughter just turned 4 in February. I put the chain on the grinder when she started walking and grabbing everything. The chain is/was around the table leg and just held with a nut and bolt (she can undo it now, so I haven't been bothering as much). My "shop" is the garage. Securing the handle of the grinder was an expedient. She is becoming more teachable, and is starting to listen better in the last few months. I expect her to do more with me in coming years.

No ripping needed. I generally agree with your statement. There is an age kids can learn on their own, and an age they can be taught. They should be supervised in a shop. Securing dangerous things from little fingers is something best, especially when they are too young to be taught.

Phil

peacock thats true! even as an adult. i love this grinder pugman, and i would really like to have one. its mellow and useful and i agree with macbruce - perfect to tutor kids on really.
eric - i would love to see your bike powered drill!!!

OTOH *other* people's kids can be a real liability sink. I used to encourage my children to do the things I did as a child---play in the creek, climb trees, etc; but wouldn't let other kids do the same on my property without a parent present.

The SWABA demo trailer has a hand crank drill press but it has a "hidden" stop in the gears to keep adults and kids from messing with it.

Now if I could only talk my daughter into letting my 3 year old grandson take his 2 oz ballpeen home with him...

If you control the situation, with *your own kid*, some valuable lessons can be learned. Letting go of the rope a bit or letting them find out for themselves just why in the heck you told em NO to begin with will work way better than NONONONONO. Sure, 4 is too young for a hand grinder but they need to find out fast about heat. There's too many things in the house that will burn for em not to know......

i got to agree - this is a massive subject on how to bring up your children, but i have always practised letting them have a careful go. my two older boys tried whatever they wanted growing up as does my little girl and she is the most tenacious and capable child i ever met. you need to Show them its ok to get involved with stuff. there are few things so sad as a child wrapped up in cotton wool. in my oppinion :) they need to Live.

Me too with Macbruce and Beth. Both my daughterss learned about wood burners,our only source of heat in the same manner. Used tos get really nervous when.visitors kids were in the homespace
Great lil grinder. Use one like it to sharpen my drillbits