I Forge Iron

I've finally got the verbal "go ahead" from my parents to start planning the long needed remodel of my bathroom. To cut to the point, i was thinking about making most of the hardware myself (towel rack, toilet paper holder, shelf/rack, *MAYBE* light switch covers, ect.)

So what i need to know....

1. Does anybody have experience with this type of stuff? I know many out there do, but is there anything out of the ordinary i should know?
2. What can i seal the stuff with that will be safe for bath towels & such? Will beeswax rub off over time?

The pictures were found via google, and are somewhat what i want to do.
post-24564-0-84688300-1341679590_thumb.jpost-24564-0-54791100-1341679591_thumb.gpost-24564-0-28880800-1341679592_thumb.g

For bathroom hardware, especially the towel rack, since there will be lots of moisture, I would use multiple coats of clear lacquer. Even then it may eventually wear, keep an eye on it. For some things I use a mixture of beeswax, boiled linseed oil and turpentine, this isn't one of them.

All canbe done with linseedoil,turps,and beeswax applied hot,then cleaned with alcohol works fine. Just watch it over a year. Reapply vegetable oil cold if rust happens. Always clean with alcohol to prevent black getting ontowles. The finish will evolve nicely over time. Switchplate covers are cool. Make a cold chiseled to match the top/bottom curveof plugs. Roll outer edges to raise cover. They look great and fun to make.

I use 1/3 of each and make small batches at a time.
I used to make large batches but found they dry up over time (probably the turpentine/mineral spirits) and don't go on as easily as when the batch was fresh.
Let dry 10-20 minutes, then buff with a rag.
Works great for me...

Some folks like linseed,turps, and beeswax as a paste.I like mine more liquid, so50/50 linseed and turps, and when using a quart of each, melt in a walnut/Golfball size beeswax. On hinges, after I put on this hot, I will rub the barrel with my lump of beeswax. This makes a great oiled barrel.

I prepare this in an old gallon paint can with a lid. Put on the forge, and slowly heat til beeswax is melted. If it flashes, put the lid on. When done pour back into the original quart cans. They have a small spout, which when stored, will prevent evaporation, and should last a very long time. Also the small spout aids in applying with a rag.