I Forge Iron

Russian anvils are back

Hi, just landed on this site looking for metalworking tools and found these anvils. I don't know if they are still cast steel though. Just wanted to share if anyone is interested in these as they are pretty cheap for the weight. They come in 15, 55, or 120 lbs.

John_zXz

I don't need these anvils, I already have a good anvil. It's just for starter out there that I put the link. I'm still waiting for the dealer's answer. I agree with you macbruce, if its cast iron, I wouln't bother with them, but if its cast steel, It can be a pretty good anvil for new blacksmiths.

I'll hold out hope that they are cast steel.... but I have my doubts. While the price is mighty low, I could see it realistically happening when you consider tariffs and trade agreements, and compound that with foreign labor and manufacturing costs. Heck, China could make us some really nice anvils and ship them over here for cheaper than US makers can cast them just because of the taxes they don't have to pay!

From the information I've found they are cast vanadium steel. But are soft 35-40 RC. Not good anvils at all. Personally if it was all I could afford and get. I would do it. If you hit hot metal on it, I don't think you will have too many problems. I've seen some near that price on Amazon that are made in India. Different shapes though. I would say caveat emptor, let the buyer beware.

So many of the products on that site were first introduce in 2008. It is now 2012, and still none of these products have been reviewed by anyone. Zero comments?

The French HF? I smell a Ratatouille.

Robert

yes, the price is to big for this quality, many years before the quality of russian anvils was beter, there were a hardened plate welded on the surface, like in the picture, a lot of good russian blacksmith masters use them to these days, and they are happy with this. I have also the same pattern russian anvil, it is soft, but rebound is not bad. It is good for you when you have so many brand anvils :)(

post-15136-0-69944200-1341419799_thumb.j