I Forge Iron

Canedy Otto square rivet forge

I will most likely be purchasing this forge. I believe, after zooming in on the first picture that it says "canedy otto" on the front. Does anyone know what kind of forge this is, and how quality it is? I've never seen a C.O like this before. post-24020-0-85340600-1340977276_thumb.j

It looks in really good condition, but I think it is missing part of the handle. It looks too low to be original. Perhaps there was a gear there that was lost?
post-24020-0-66602600-1340977280_thumb.j

Otherwise it looks good. Opinions? post-24020-0-08509500-1340977279_thumb.jpost-24020-0-77183000-1340977282_thumb.j

Will it work for what you want it to do? Don't ask us without telling us "what you want it to do".

It looks to be in good shape. It does look like it's missing one set of speed up gears; You could make a pulley set up fairly easily to mount in that top hole and drive the lower shaft if you are the tinkering sort. Definitely a point to negotiate a high price downward as it's not complete and original---you can see the wear tracing of the top part around the hole!

Thomas, I am sorry, I'm should've put what its to be used for. This will be my first forge, something better than a campfire and a 5-gallon bucket lid to fan the coals with. I want to do small stuff in this forge, nothing big, not yet. Just make some small hardware, hooks, tools etc. As to the high price, it is only $65. Now, I don't know if for this forge it would be considered a high price, but in my location, forges are running anywhere from $150-400, depending on the audacity of the seller.

As to the missing gear drive or ratchet/belt drive, I figure I could get an old bike and use gears for that, if it comes to it,
Swedefiddle, I'll definately start being very cranky on this new gem! (and my knees will be too, if I have to kneel to turn that handle!)

Well, I bought this forge, and will bring it home tomorrow. I think it is akin to this forge here:post-24020-0-57672000-1341259071_thumb.j

It looks like it was a geared system, but I think I'll try to make do with what I can. The man I am buying it from says it does not blow very much air, so I'll see if that's just becuase of the lack of gears.

JimsShip, could you give me some information on this forge? Mine is a Canedy Otto, but the blower doesn't blow a lot of air. I believe it is becuase of the missing gear ratio, but some general advice about how it is supposed to work would be great. Its a beauty, and yours was fantastically done!

I think replacing the gears would be a big undertaking without the originals (or mine) to use as a template. Does the fan move freely set up as it is now?
My fan only had 4 small blades and didn't move a great amount of air (enough to forge, but I never had to slow my cranking!)
I got lucky with mine since the only part I needed to replace was actually in good shape, all I needed was a lot of sanding and a new tension spring.
I would try it as is and see what you want to change about it. (The crank may be too low, or you may learn to like it as is) and then we (and by we I mean you!) can create the changes you desire.

I suppose I will just have to experiment on it. I'm not sure if the paint is high-heat... Should I be worried about it? I hate the fumes of burning paint. The fan is going to be taken apart tomorrow morning, so I'll have a look-see. I think its all good, all free-spinning.
As to the gears, I plan to use a bike gear/chain drive.

I'l post my progress tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

I used high heat Krylon for the black parts and gloss red for the rest. When you line it, (and you should) most of the fire-areas will be protected anyway. (Fire areas? There's got to be a better way to describe that!)

I have managed to get the blower apart, and everything looks in good shape, but I'm curious if the blades are on right. :
post-24020-0-52979500-1341420848_thumb.j

It looks like the curve should be facing the other direction to propel the air through the tube and up the right angle to the forge. It blows decently now, and doesn't really touch the sides to my knowledge, but I am curious if it should be flipped.

As to the rest: post-24020-0-37222000-1341420789_thumb.jpost-24020-0-64973200-1341420799_thumb.jpost-24020-0-60101700-1341420809_thumb.jpost-24020-0-32963100-1341420820_thumb.jpost-24020-0-39509800-1341420834_thumb.j
I was thinking of just leaving it as is, and just putting new grease on it to turn it easier. The rubber wheel is still functional, though worn.

The blower blades don't move the air in the direction They are spinning. Being an inpeller, as the blades turn they suck air in through the hole on the side of the blower and consequently the air comes out the other side. So even if the blades look like they are pushing the air in a certain direction they are just sucking air in.

I never looked when i took mine apart, and put it back together with the curve facing forward when cranked (Thinking it would "scoop" the air into the pipe opening) but never even really thought it may have been different when i started.
The wheel is in good shpe, that was my concern on mine, but it turns out that even if it's split into 2 wheels, as long as you have a good (new in my case) tension spring pushing one half towards the other is works nicely. (I actually sanded the inner edges on mine to remove the craked bits and scuff up the surface a bit for traction)

The crank handle doesn't come off, at least not by my own force. I don't want to force it off and ruin the drive shaft, so I'm going to leave it as it is. I put the fan back together, and we'll see how it goes. The bolts are all replacement modern bolts. Do you happen to have an estimate on the date these were made? I'm guessing early 20th century.
AS to the amount of air, my first fire will be the tell tale of its quality. Hopefully it works out well without any hitches!

Now that I see the picture more clearly (I was using my phone before) the blades are definitely on correctly, It's all in the aerodynamics of the blades, if the blades were reversed the blower would not blow, the air would follow the curvature of the blades and move toward the center. As it is now, when the blades spin they push the air up to the edges of the blower and toward the tuyere.