I Forge Iron

Uses for Exercise Weights

Hi folks, someone gave me a set of exercise weights. They are cast from something. I guess cast iron and not steel but I am not sure how to tell for sure. They range from 45 to 10 pounds. Obviously there are two of each. Anyone have an idea what they could be used for or should I just dispose of them? Can they be used in making some equipment like presses or hammers etc.? Right now they are scattered in the back yard. My kids were rolling them around. I decided to leave the weights there for a few days to help build a strong healthy lawn... not sure how that will turn out but we'll see.

Bill

Good Morning,

The lawn will always grow stronger if the kids aren't playing on it. The lawn ornaments will help the kids grow by allowing them to be creative. :D Sometimes you let the mischevious minds go for it. Probably won't poke an eye!! -_-

Neil

Rather do 2000 reps with a hammer than 25 reps with a set of weights myself---the bending jigs is a good use!

Amen to that, but I do have a set just to keep the left hand in shape as my left hand hammering is not quite there yet and the right side was starting to look a little lopsided.

Amen to that, but I do have a set just to keep the left hand in shape as my left hand hammering is not quite there yet and the right side was starting to look a little lopsided.

Indeed my right forearm is now (after just nearly two years of blacksmithing) is noticeably larger.

I have a set in my shop. If they're the standard design, then you'll find a number of uses for them. I clamp them to my table and use them as bending patterns while making rings and other circles. The 45 I used for this pot rack and the 25 I used for this cross. I've thought about paying the local steel distributor to make circle patterns for me, but until then, the plates work great

Brilliant. I have just acquired a large fab table with a 1/2" plate steel top. I can clamp them to that and use it as you say to form circles. Hot dog! I'm a lot more excited about the weights now and motivated to go collect them out of the lawn. ha ha

Brilliant!.....Next time I go to the thrift store or my favorite salvage yards I'm gonna latch onto some of these in varying sizes. Having to make circle/curve patterns is a pain...and they already have a hole that will fit my Diacro bender....

They would work very well for Grant Sarver mod to a fly press. Wish I had some I could use the 3 1/2 inch round that's currently doing duty on the fly press. I see them around but never thought about them till this post . Thanks.