I Forge Iron

2012 ABANA Brian Brazeal demonstration

Got an email today saying Brian will have 3 young strikers at the Wensday night demonstration.
Lyle is this a way for you to get an hour or so off at the conference? OH OH maybe I ratted you out

Here is the ABANA email that I recieved

Conference Update

Opening Demonstration Announcement

In furthering ABANA's goal of perpetuating the noble art of blacksmithing, by promoting blacksmithing to youth, we have added a "Youth Showcase" Demonstration to our slate of Opening Demonstrations on Wednesday evening. Alec Steele, Daniel Riffe, and Kainon Baumer make up an international striking team which will put on both an entertaining and educational show to help open our 2012 conference. This team of three teens, all exceptionally talented behind the anvil through the tutelage of Brian Brazeal, will show what they know in dramatic form.

This is a first for these three young men and for ABANA as well. Young, old, beginner, and veteran smith will all walk away from this demo with a smile on their face, new techniques in hand, and comforted by the thought that blacksmithing is staying alive in their youthful hands. Bring your family in for this demonstration. It may even inspire your own youngsters to come out to the shop, or inspire you to recruit a few enthusiastic youths in your area who want to learn blacksmithing!

ABANA is taking an active role in supporting our youth through the development of our youth membership and now in this showcase demonstration. We are focused on preserving the traditions of the blacksmith through study of the past and the preservation of future smiths in the sharing of knowledge, skills, and experience. Come and be a part of history and ABANA's future at this Opening Demonstration at the 2012 Conference.

I'd like to thank Brian, Karen, and Lyle for extending an invitation to and the opportunity of a lifetime to three talented young smiths. I view this as testimony to Brian's ability to convey understanding of what is happening when we forge. The demo will be an inspiration to all ages, but I hope especially to young, interested folks. We need more of them. Unable to attend, I to I'm looking forward to the videos. Back home, we at the Houston Area Blacksmithing Asso. and Balcones Forge are thrilled that two of our best will represent us at a national conference. Way to go guys. Again, thank you to Brian, Karen, and Lyle. Alan Lee

Dave- are you kidding me? "Not able to attend?" Did you bump your head? You are going to miss out on this conference? If I were you I would beg and borrow whatever it takes to get there. Ride the bus out there or hop a rail. This is a conference that no one should miss.
This is a good reason for me to get a new camera. I will try to do my best to get some video as well as still shots.
I made all my reservations when I did not even have a job. If it takes years to pay for it or I have to sell some tools or my bus to pay for it then so be it. I will be there if I still have a pulse

It should be fantastic! I really would like to thank everyone for the means for me to be able to demonstrate at this conference! Especially Brian, Karen, Lyle and Peyton! All your work is appreciated so much! I am looking forward to this so much - But the pressures on now! We'll try our best not to disappoint!
We, also are planning to film all of this! My mother will be head photographer and filmmaker of my trip to the States and Daniel, Kainon and my ABANA conference experience!
Looking forward to meeting you all in SD in a month exactly!!! :D

regards!
alec

I remember the first time I demoed at an ABANA conf. in 98, boy was I nervous but as soon as I hit a hot piece of steel all that went away. You have the skills you need and confidence will build with every stroke of the hammer. I am very excited for this team of young smiths. Can hardley wait!

I'd like to thank Brian, Karen, and Lyle for extending an invitation to and the opportunity of a lifetime to three talented young smiths. I view this as testimony to Brian's ability to convey understanding of what is happening when we forge. The demo will be an inspiration to all ages, but I hope especially to young, interested folks. We need more of them. Unable to attend, I to I'm looking forward to the videos. Back home, we at the Houston Area Blacksmithing Asso. and Balcones Forge are thrilled that two of our best will represent us at a national conference. Way to go guys. Again, thank you to Brian, Karen, and Lyle. Alan Lee

x2

• 4 weeks later...

Today is Tuesday. I got a preview of the show on Saturday so I gladly say you will be impressed...impressed in many directions. There willl be an emergence of directorship, team workmanship, total project goals, and a gozillion other nice qualities. If there is something that could go wrong it would because someone trips on the way.

With youth there are challenges that this team has worked on, themselves, to iron out differences. Having been with the gang a lot last week I have never seen more ability of four that did not know each other a few days before and then join forces so well. I wish I could be there like many of you all do. There will be videos.

Carry on.

Young Smiths in action. Brian lit the first fire then the young smiths jumped right in. They made two hotcuts, a hammer, a hammer eye punch, a bird, a tack from 1" square stock, and theyb drew out a large piece of round 4140 and made a nail. As soon as I can load camere pics I will get them posted.

post-1280-0-09298400-1342696507_thumb.jp