I Forge Iron

Identifying alloy steel with spark testing is a myth today

ciladog

I have had some success identifying unknown steel against known samples by sparking it side by side on a wide grinding wheel.  It is tricky thing there are so many alloys out there.  I usually combine it with a quench and fracture test and see what it normalizes like.  Some steels will get too hard to cut or drill as forged others will not.  It is a useful skill to cultivate but not definitive.  

Hey there, can someone clarify the "active smiths know what is what" statement-I am not sure what it refers to. I am an active smith (a decade of doing this for a living), and I agree with Ciladog-I can't do it, and I have a friend who is a ABS certified Master who said he couldn't/wouldn't do it either. Thanks.

I agreed with the OP opening statement of most active smiths here know about spark testing not being a fool proof way to ID  found steels.  the 'knowing what is what" statement was not about knowing the steel by sparks,  but knowing this thread was going down hill fast. I saw no reasosn to explain or argue further, sorry for any confusion

Posted · Hidden by Steve Sells, May 28, 2013 - stupid and techhnically false
Hidden by Steve Sells, May 28, 2013 - stupid and techhnically false

I can normally tell by the taste and smell of different steel.........

Posted · Hidden by Steve Sells, May 28, 2013 - stupid and techhnically false
Hidden by Steve Sells, May 28, 2013 - stupid and techhnically false

I can normally tell by the taste and smell of different steel.........

must be an aussie smith thing, i just have to lick it, and i can tell you exactly what alloy it is. grinding is just a waste of good material.

Greetings all,

I'm not from down under or do I do things upside down but when I test I have coupons of known steels for comparison.  On a good day I come close...  If I plan any amount of work on a die or tool I only use known steel...

That's what I got

Jim