I Forge Iron

FIxing a post vise mount

Farmall

Crunch No ! The SMWR is Not a TIG rod it is for unknown Cast material that one has issues . Se Post # 13 & # 20 on the first page .

I noted and stated it could be repaired BY : Oxy & Act Welding by simply removinv the flux from the SMW rod Cleaning the base metal and making it ready to weld . after all Brazing is Brass welding is all others un less it is sordiring when referance to usung a torch .

Sam

To rile things a bit more: *most* wrought iron is low carbon. I have run into higher carbon examples and have even made my own starting with real wrought iron and getting blister steel from it.

I have also worked in a bloomery for over a decade and the original bloom can range from nearly 0 carbon to around 2%---cast iron.

Since we usually get wrought iron from the scrap stream we need to be wary as almost *anything* might show up---Junkyard rules apply---"Test Everything *BEFORE* putting time and effort into making something from it!"

Wrought Iron is a *composite* material rather than a homogeneous one.

If I got the pics right, the damage is between the 4th hole on the end, and the 3 closer to the vise holes.

Install it and forget it. Sister it with some heavy sheet or thin plate to the table if it makes you feel better. If the 4th hole breaks free, the vise still isn't going anywhere.

If you want to rebuild it get some more wrought first...you are going to loose material in forging.

I thought missileweld was fiction....wow.

Phil

Semantics.

Wrought iron has a grain, but it doesn't have a grain. Hot rolled ferrous materials have a granular structure, but they don't have a wood grain. Wrought iron has a fibrous structure because of lengthwise, microscopic filaments of silica slag throughout its mass. You can etch WI and observe it and call it wood grain all day long. But is it really? It doesn't have any returns, knots, or tear-out places. In well made WI, the slag is usually about 2% by weight and not more than 4%. It is a mechanical mix. The carbon content is below 0.10% in quality WI.

How about fusion? In contemporary welding practice, fusion indicates a molten puddle. There is no puddle in forge welding. Current literature calls forge welding: solid state welding; solid phase welding; and bonding. There are those who maintain that the surfaces of the pieces to be forge welded are molten, and that is what causes cohesion, I maintain, "No." Any molten material on the surfaces is normally scale and flux that have combined into a liquid. This material is a contaminant, however.

Reference
"Metals Handbook 1948 Edition." American Society for Metals, Cleveland, Ohio

Let me add in "Solid Phase Welding of Metals", Tylecote, for people who want to learn much more than one generally wants to about the process...

And I hate to go against Frank; but you can sometimes find WI with returns and "knots" from where great heaps of WI scrap were busheled into new WI stock---definitely not the high end stuff; but etching the low end stuff can be pretty wild at times.