I Forge Iron

Wrap and weld style Hawk

Hi people .
This is a small wrap and weld style hawk shape based loosely on the early style
brought in from France and England.

Mild steel wrap with w1 edge , deer wrap snake wrap, copper .,
leather , brass studs ,feathers , bit of scratching with spotted gum haft some file work .
hope you like .
Chris

post-25508-0-38215000-1339061324_thumb.j

post-25508-0-99911100-1339061404_thumb.j

post-25508-0-38906800-1339061453_thumb.j

post-25508-0-01991000-1339061502_thumb.j

Hi people .
This is a small wrap and weld style hawk shape based loosely on the early style
brought in from France and England.

Mild steel wrap with w1 edge , deer wrap snake wrap, copper .,
leather , brass studs ,feathers , bit of scratching with spotted gum haft some file work .
hope you like .
Chris

That's nice. Love the etching(?) in the metal.

That is really beautiful! I am envious. I hope to be half that good one day. Your work is outstanding.
Hello Ecart ,
Thank you very much you will be better just keep at it mate ,I will be saying the same about your work
one day but you just have to keep going everyting can be learned just takes a bit of time
thank you Ecart .
Chris

Chris, I'm trying to understand how you approached the engraving along the edge. Did you engrave first, and use that as your guide for file work? This is another outstanding piece. You have set the bar pretty high! Much appreciated!

I've had to look at the materials I currently possess in a new light. Much is possible with sufficient effort. And skill.

Like many have said or thought, your hawk is almost to pretty to use. If I had made it, I wouldn't be afraid to use it, but if I bought it, I might hesitate to scuff it up. I don't doubt that it is up to the task it was made for, but respect for the maker would keep it clean and safe instead.

Robert

Hi Robert ,
No matter how much icing is on the cake it was still made to be eaten .
if you know what i mean ,

i dont see any point in making a tool if you cant use it some may not see this
but the first purpose is a tool is it must work after that is just cosmetic nothing else A bit like building a house you need a good
foundation then go for it .

I hope i have enspired you in some way to keep forging you will get there just takes a bit of time
and how far you wish to go is up to you ,

I have said to other people dont be impressed by all the leaves on the tree , just because there is more leaves doesnt mean
its a better tree than one with less

I just do the file work by eye have found the chainsaw files seem to work best .
Thanks Robert keep forging mate
Chris

Hi Robert ,
No matter how much icing is on the cake it was still made to be eaten .
if you know what i mean ,

i dont see any point in making a tool if you cant use it some may not see this
but the first purpose is a tool is it must work after that is just cosmetic nothing else A bit like building a house you need a good
foundation then go for it .

I hope i have enspired you in some way to keep forging you will get there just takes a bit of time
and how far you wish to go is up to you ,

I have said to other people dont be impressed by all the leaves on the tree , just because there is more leaves doesnt mean
its a better tree than one with less

I just do the file work by eye have found the chainsaw files seem to work best .
Thanks Robert keep forging mate
Chris

Chris not only do you make a fine looking hawk, but you also have the knack for using words in a very eloquent manner!

Thanks for sharing both! :D

Chris not only do you make a fine looking hawk, but you also have the knack for using words in a very eloquent manner!

Thanks for sharing both! :D
Hello trying- it ,
I just try to say whats right we all start at the bottom so to speak and i want to try to encourage
people to forge , its not how good you are or how bad you think your work is, its enjoying smithing and showing us all
so everyone can learn and help each other , maybe im wrong but i thought thats what forums are about helping each other .
My privelage to share thank you very much trying- it .And i hope i helped Robert a bit some how.
Chris

Hello trying- it ,
I just try to say whats right we all start at the bottom so to speak and i want to try to encourage
people to forge , its not how good you are or how bad you think your work is, its enjoying smithing and showing us all
so everyone can learn and help each other , maybe im wrong but i thought thats what forums are about helping each other .
My privelage to share thank you very much trying- it .And i hope i helped Robert a bit some how.
Chris

I would say that your words and images have helped me a lot. Significantly in fact! Thanks for posting all the fantastic work that you have.

Robert