I Forge Iron

New Mousehole anvil

Just thought I'd show the new addition I picked up today. It was posted on Craigs List yesterday and 7:30 this morning I was on the phone. It was about an hour away but for a 240 pound mousehole anvil for $300.00 I think it was well worth the drive. Great shape and rebound. I have never worked on this brand of anvil and they seem much more solid and wider faced than my Peter wright I have at 230lbs. Pritchel hole is punched not drilled 1/2" and hardy hole is 1"
Seems like a pretty good deal, what do you guys think?

post-6303-0-11774200-1338941349_thumb.jp

post-6303-0-92902100-1338941367_thumb.jp

post-6303-0-04873700-1338941416_thumb.jp

congrats Furnace you beat me to it by about 2 hours i had been waiting to see if i could swap my truck for something less thirsty for the drive it was a 2 1/2 hour drive for me
so i am just glad to know that anvil will still be in use
i thought it was a fantastic deal for a anvil in that shape

congrats Furnace you beat me to it by about 2 hours i had been waiting to see if i could swap my truck for something less thirsty for the drive it was a 2 1/2 hour drive for me
so i am just glad to know that anvil will still be in use
i thought it was a fantastic deal for a anvil in that shape
Thanks Bigred, sorry didn't mean to beat you out on that. It was too good of a deal to pass up and I figured it was worth the drive. It will be used, no worries about that and for what it was intended for not stuck in a garden or yard!
Are you going to the hammer in at the basin harbor club on the 16th?

yup as long as i am not making hay i will be there
all in all i am sorry i missed out on the mouse hole but i would be cross-eyed and drooling if it had been a fisher in that shape that i missed
life goes on and its always good to know there are some descent ones that pop back up

yeah i have a smaller one around 120lb and i truly love how quite it is
dont get me wrong if i can come across a anvil with edges and a face in the condition of the one above i dont thing i will be turning my nose up at it
on the plus side VaughnT i dont think we are going to be going head to head on many anvils lol

That's a KEEPER and a great deal to boot!

Mouse holes have a squat "industrial" look to them and a much bigger sweet spot (Face area where there is solid metal all the way to the base where you can do heavy hammering without fear of damage to horn or heel) than many other types of anvils.

I'm still looking for one myself and would have JUMPED on that deal if it was near local to me!