I Forge Iron

Need help with my kinyon style powered hammer

I have build a powered hammer,at first it was a mechanical wheel drive then i decided to change to an air piston drive but i dont think i got it right,there is something definately wrong. I have plenty of air pressure but it still will only run slow. I have a 1/4inch 5port 2 position valve with a reed switch. i can get it to work slow but its so slow it isnt really useful. the hammer weight including the head is about 90lbs. I am wondering if i have the plumbing wrong or if i have the wrong valve.(do i need a 3/8ths inch valve or did i just get the wrong type.)
2012-05-15150257.jpg2012-05-15150318.jpg2012-05-15150344.jpg

well my air piston has 1/4inch inputs but even with that i should go alot bigger like a half inch vavle and hoses to make it go faster?

I've got 3/8 valves on everything and it runs fine. When I update I'll probably go to 1/2.
Before making any major alterations to your air plumbing, double check to make sure the ram guides are not too tight. If you are sure they are not, removed some of the guides and double check anyway. Also, make sure there is not any GREASE on the ram guides. Use a medium weight motor oil or WD-40 in a pinch. That alone sped my hammer way up!

I had the hammer running with a tire drive system before this so i know the hammer guide is fine,not the ideal guide i would like but its my first hammer. ok it looks like i am gonna just have to order that 1/2" valve which i was hoping i wasnt gonna have to do since i already wasted alot of money but hey live and learn.

well my air piston has 1/4inch inputs but even with that i should go alot bigger like a half inch vavle and hoses to make it go faster?

Hi
When it comes to air hammers size does matter. With a 90lb head you should have a min of a 2.5" dia cylinder with 1/2" ports as well as a Norgren 500, 5way spool valve. I would even go as far to say a 3" cylinder and 1/2" ports would be much more in line, with that weight head. It will hit much harder and it will be much more snappy. Going to a 1/2" spool valve with 1/4" cyclinder ports will not help much if at all.
Good luck
CH