I Forge Iron

Helve Hammer Build

Hardly !  besides yours isn't finished yet.  I haven't figured out if that one is home built or an old original ...maybe a composite of parts ?

I try to save any info on similar styled hammers ... you never know when someone else has a method of construction which will come in handy.... (Like your rail chairs--LOL)

I'm anxious to see how you assemble the spring/bumpers for yours.

I was looking at that wonderful cast flywheel and was envious.

Yeah, quite a find that thing. Had to drag it nigh on two miles through an abandoned network of mine shafts to the surface. Then nearly collapsed my mates rear suspension sticking in the back of his car. Worth it though :D

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I LIKE it!  Nice movement and it seems to have a reasonable speed to rebound ratio.  Stops fairly quickly when you let off the gas pedal.  Obviously underweight anvil (bouncy) but that will be easy to fix as heavier scrap becomes available.  One of the best home built hammers I've seem in a while, well done!

Glad you got it finished and I think everyone will agree It came out "SWEET"  Nothing there to be ashamed of.

It looks like your anvil post might be a little too lite ,but that's an easy adjustment if that's the case.

It looks like an antique hammer and a fine example... Love the action of the helve in relation to the springs... Great idea.

Please feel free to share photos from various angles ..... I'd sure like to see it better now that you made it pretty as well as functional.

Some might not be aware they can click on the image above the video post and gain access to your gallery pictures of the building of the hammer. The transformation from rough build to finished hammer is pretty astounding... But the pics show the process you went thru to fabricate it...

The antique oil cups on the helve pivot and the crank add a lot to the impression it's an antique hammer brought back from some obscure state of neglect. I'm still fascinated by those rail lock spring contraptions you used.

Obviously underweight anvil (bouncy) but that will be easy to fix as heavier scrap becomes available. 

Yup, sadly this was all I had access too. I've built it in such a way though that there's plenty of space to fit in a big solid lump as soon as one becomes available. It's frustrating not being able to get the most out of it.

The antique oil cups on the helve pivot and the crank add a lot to the impression it's an antique hammer brought back from some obscure state of neglect. I'm still fascinated by those rail lock spring contraptions you used.

Although there was a lot of fabrication involved, I love using pieces salvaged from abandoned or wrecked pieces of machinery, and have amassed a vast collection of flywheels, bearings, and grease cups for future projects. 

As for more detailed shots, and maybe even a video walking through it, I'll see what I can do over the weekend. Thanks for the kind words, it's been a pig getting this thing done!

I just noticed the anvil movement in the video...I also noticed your ability to correct things by looking at the anvil construction...figured you'd addressed that issue on your own... I'd still kill for it...Great hammer !

After reviewing the original pictures when you started... the finished project evolved from a pile of pieces into a Swan. It resulted from your attention to details... The "helve" was transformed from a stick of lumber into a formed beam that looked like something a factory might build.

Way back you expressed concern that an example I posted put yours to shame... You don't need to worry about that one... Yours far exceeds that example.

Glad you got it finished so you can use it..... Now ENJOY ! LOL

• 2 weeks later...