I Forge Iron

Finally fixed my anvil

Finally got around to fixing my Fisher anvil from the damage some half wit did to it years ago. As you can see from the pictures these was some deep cut towards the end of the horn. Don't know how they did that damage but, it was a mess.
I did pre and post heated the whole horn for quite awhile before using my mig welder. I had been cautioned to be very careful welding this if at all from a few guys on this forum when I got this anvil over a year ago. I just had to do it as that horn was just about driving me nuts trying to work around those cuts. I believe an anvil like this deserves to be repaired if at all possible and I think it came out pretty good, if I do say so myself. It's not perfect and there are a few pits here and there but it is much better than before. It is a 400 pound Fisher made in 1901
Hope you guys like the pictures.......Scott

post-6303-0-06129700-1336262290_thumb.jp

post-6303-0-19185300-1336262302_thumb.jp

post-6303-0-07777900-1336262316_thumb.jp

post-6303-0-38797200-1336262324_thumb.jp

I've been aching to find a large Fisher for ages. Something about that quiet anvil just demands my attention.

What wire did you use to weld it up? Did you try to match the tool steel top of the horn? Looks like a top-notch job and I'm sure that she appreciates the attention.

I've been aching to find a large Fisher for ages. Something about that quiet anvil just demands my attention.

What wire did you use to weld it up? Did you try to match the tool steel top of the horn? Looks like a top-notch job and I'm sure that she appreciates the attention.
Thank you for the comments VaughnT Fishers are very quiet as you mentioned. From what I have read the horn was just regular untempered steel and was different than the top plate. That supposedly being the case, I used flux core mig wire. The pre heating was the most important part. There was the chance that the steel would separate from the cast iron underneath if not done correctly. That is why I pre heated the whole horn and heated it after as well in stages so it would cool slowly and at a controlled even pace....Hope you find that big Fisher you have been looking for!

Scott, I have to say that it looks like you did an excellent job on the repairs. :)
Thank you for the comments CurlyGeorge!

Well I'd probably have lived with those cuts happily ever after... sure looks like you did a nice job cleaning them up though!
Thank you....I had to give it a go. I'm a fair welder and knew what could go wrong and hope that I knew enough to not let it happen!!

Nice job of repairing this fine old anvil. Not many people would have attempted this. Good for you.
Thank you also.....It is in astonishingly good condition for it's age except for that damage which is now thankfully gone!

Nice job repairing the old lady. I'm glad you knew the risks and undertook to minimize the down side. I'd love to have a Fisher in the 200-300 lb range my ears don't like a missed blow at all now.

Frosty The Lucky.

I am happy to see people repairing the old ones and keeping them in the world. I have repaired a few over the years and haven't had any issues except for one mouse hole that has a little dead spot under a repair, apparently I didn't get keep enough. I fuild a little firebrick chamber on the end of my welding bench where I preheat it and then post heat after welding and it has served well. The trick with something like that that has different metals in it is to do the heating.