I Forge Iron

Some of you were at Finch Founry's St Clems day celebration last year, and were aware of the BBC having a film crew there, this is the result and outcome for the programme they were filming, may be some recognisable faces in there somewhere,

Weds 16th May BBC Four – 21:00
METALWORKS
THE BLACKSMITHS’ TALE

Handmade in Britain, the story of Britain’s greatest craftsmen, celebrates those who have created masterpieces in metal. Celebrating everything from gates and grilles to balconies and bridges, this is the story of the cast and wrought iron that has both served and embellished society. Treasures are drawn from all corners of the UK in a celebration of the best of British decorative ironwork. From the earliest ornate hinges and doors, to the magnificent baroque garden ornaments and finally mass produced street furniture, we encounter the mastery of metalworkers such as Jean Tijou, Robert Bakewell and John Tresilian; see the designs of Robert Adam and George Gilbert Scott, and marvel at the mass marketers of the Victorian age such as the Saracen Foundry. BBC 4’s Handmade in Britain series is made in collaboration with the Victoria and Albert Museum.

Sounds wonderful.
I hope it will show on this side of the Pond at some point.

There was a show which had the blacksmith Tom Joyce in it here in the US...called "Craft in America". It sounds similar to what you are describing.

Ric

We don't have BBC as part of our cable bundle (of crud) so maybe I'll have to talk Deb into going hot tubbing on the day, they have the everything package. I sure hope BBC 4 is one.

Thanks for the heads up.

Frosty The Lucky.

The last programme was on armouring.
A lot of work from Henry VIII personal collection and similar styles. Absolutely incredible craftmanship!
The designs were functional to the point they would save a persons life but also incredibly beautiful. I was blown away by the skill on show.

Can't wait for the blacksmith one on Wednesday!

That was a really good program.
Thorough and relevant
must admit to being left cold by Tijou and Bakewell. I love the older medieval work and our wonderfull train stations.
Always good to see Hector Cole .
Well worth watching

Great programme I thought. Really informative for people in and out of the craft.

It was great to see that a lot of people are still trying to carry on the craft, such as thouse in Glasgow making the cast iron fixtures.
Such a shame that its not more widespread. Nice to see when British craftmanship was top of the World, but now everything is imported and generally of a lot less quality.