I Forge Iron

Charcoal forge

Charcoal is wood with the volatiles burned off. Yes it can burn clean. A blower is what you find locally to move air into the forge. Look for a squirrel cage fan, automobile heater fan, old fan from a clothes dryer, bathroom exhaust fan etc.

A small wet dry vac will supply more air. If the forge is small a hair drier may be enough. Get ready for fire flies, charcoal tends to throw them off really bad. Don't put your forge near anything flamable and wear long sleeves, hat and gloves.

I've experienced these "fireflies" with lump charcoal that I bought just to try it out. I make my own and have zero flies, but I make it he simple way by burning a bunch of wood down to coals and putting it out with the hose.

I have found that if I use store bought charcoal it sparks badly, more wood than coal. I make my own and thru expeiment have found that if it starts sparking much, generally you are giving it to much air. Really does not take much air with charcoal. Wonderful stuff!

I have burnt a lot of charcoal in my brakedrum forge. I use a blowdryer on low, it gives more air than I need with charcoal or coal. I found an old junk sewing machine and took the foot pedal speed control and use it to control how much air I get. I make my charcoal in a pit and don't have much trouble with fire fleas unless I use to much air.

You'll also burn thru a LOT more charcoal than coal, about 5 times as much in my experience. and you'll use a lot more water to control the fire. I recently made the switch to coal (found a really nice forge and firepot on Craigslist) after 5+ years forging with Cowboy Brand charcoal from the local Ace. Large tuyere holes in whatever forge you build, so the little bits of charcoal "fleas" can fall through, rather than get blown out, will help. If you catch the smithing bug, you'll likely build several forges as you work your way up the learning curve.

You'll also burn thru a LOT more charcoal than coal, about 5 times as much in my experience. and you'll use a lot more water to control the fire. I recently made the switch to coal (found a really nice forge and firepot on Craigslist) after 5+ years forging with Cowboy Brand charcoal from the local Ace. Large tuyere holes in whatever forge you build, so the little bits of charcoal "fleas" can fall through, rather than get blown out, will help. If you catch the smithing bug, you'll likely build several forges as you work your way up the learning curve.

Pound for pound charcoal and coal have similar energy content; corn has about 1/2 the energy. (according to published values, I'll let you look them up.) The density of charcoal is much less than coal, and corn is about the same density as charcoal. This means you will feed more volume of charcoal than coal, and more corn than charcoal.

Next question: dollar for dollar? That is for you to determine.

Phil