I Forge Iron

Ok, so I've been hunting for an anvil in Las Vegas for almost two months with no luck... So I was hoping someone can give me a tip on where to look and where to go (in Las Vegas) to try finding an anvil. OR if any body who lives in Vegas either is selling their anvil to get a new one, has an old anvil, or even a make shift anvil that they are willing to part with. I'm trying to get into iron work and blade making. so if anyone has any info on an anvil (a real one or a makeshift, but still functional, anvil) in vegas please post on this or message me. Thank you for the people who took the time to read this and to comment.

Around here the scrap yards are closed to the public, except the scales.

If the scrap yards sell you can look for a block of steel that is about 100# with a flat surface. Railroad couples that are broken, and not have been used.

Smaller items can also be used if they are fastened very securely. A lot of work has been done on 30# anvils and smaller. A strong fastening of the anvil to the stand or stump, and a strong fastening of the stump or stand to the earth is required for this. Logs buried upright and welded steel tripods pinned to the earth are very effective.

An anvil does not need a horn, it can be a simple block and be effective.

Welcome aboard and good luck!

Phil

A "secret" to finding anvils on Craigslist. Set up a search with your smart phone if you have one so it alerts you when an anvil is posted. Or, check 5-10 tines a day. My 300# fisher was listed at 10:00 at night and was removed by 8:00am the next day. I paid $360.... I've seen several others pop up and sell in minutes/hours since then. Before I started checking 5-10 times a day I thought there weren't any anvils for sale in my area. I could buy 2 a month if I needed one using this method.
Call around to see if there's a salvage yard, or a forklift repair shop with a single fork or bent fork they are wiling to sell. I have gotten 800# plus of free tines this year and all my friends are happy to use them as post anvils. Great for bladesmithing.

I forgot to also mention the "Thomas Powers Anvil Acquisition Technique" You talk up EVERYBODY that you are looking for an anvil. This includes random people you are talking to, your family, friends, preacher, dentist...Everybody. If you are lucky, and the rule of large numbers is on your side here (ask a large number of people and someone will help you), someone will have a perfect anvil they want to "dispose" of, but feel guilty scrapping a good tool, and don't want to go through the effort of listing it for sale and will offer it to you at a fair, or lower, price.

Phil

You may have to range more widely too. It's been a long time since I spent any time in Nevada but there was a fellow in Yerrington who had tools and equipment for sale. Not being bashful about looking is really helpful.

I'd ask about your handle but I'm afraid of suffering from TMI.

Frosty The Lucky.

I have lived in Las Vegas for 43 yrs - in the past two years I have seen three anvils listed on the local Craigs List - one was "nonamer" bought by BigGunDoctor (he's on this site) it is a 50# anvil - it's in a thread under his name ... think he paid $50 for it. Another one was almost double the "right" price and one sold within a day. I found one at a yard sale and the seller wouldn't hold it til I got back with enough money- God has a special place for him later. As you may know Vegas is not that old of a town and there were very few blacksmiths here in 1905/7 when the town was founded. Once I save some more money I will start my search again, but not here. I'm going to start searching in Utah. The TPAAAT thread is the best source for inspiration!! Best bet; ask everyone, have money in your pocket day and night and don't just look here . . . expect to pay $2-4 a pound at a minmum for a "real Anvil" . . . Curtis Steel on Wynn Rd (near Tropicana) will sell you scrap - it's in the rear of their yard (last time I was there it was $.50/pound) . . . also on Losee Rd there are 2 scrap yard that will sell steel for about the same price . . . and in Memory of The Late Great Grant Sarver and to continue paying it forward after the generosity of my friend BigGunDoctor . . . PM me and I will give you a piece of steel and a hammer (suitable for making knives) to get started! One of these ought to work for you :D now you got options !!