I Forge Iron

Kinfe Makers What Do You Think????

Ron Hicks

This is a knife I forged from a bearing race last spring thinking about finishing it.
All hand work files, hand sand,edge harden & tempered.Its a through tang.
I brazed sheet brass to make top furrel & NS pin stock flattened and brazed for the rings. The pomel is sheet brass also made a flaired out furrel dish out a cap and brazed on. The guard is NS ,wood is from a Walnut stump.
I have the handle is glued to the rings furrel and pommel - its not attached to the blade or guard. I want to take a little bend out of the guard and file it down to the sides of handle also kind of blend it in.
lastknife1.jpg
What do you think about the handle??? I dont know If I like it or not???
Maybe a Pakistan Bowie?
lastknife2.jpg
I was going to peen the tang to hold on the hanlde- But Im not sure If it will work. I have a 1/8 in gap between the end of the wood and inside of the pommel where I wanted to peen the tang.I thought I would fill the void with JB Weld & when dry peen the tang down. Think the JB Weld will hold up ?or dent in the brass.
Also If I were to peen it how much tang do i need to peen? I left it long.
I can not take off the pommel its glue on.
But I can make a new handle

What ya think? Ron

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

kinda new to the forums so bera with me. Most of the knives ive made are fully hidden tangs, and what i do is, either use a nut or threaded pommel, or heat the tang, preferably with a torch, put on the handle, and rivet the tang into the countersink (or into a head) and that has worked for me. Oh btw the torch gives more concentrated heat than the forge. hope that helped.:D