I Forge Iron

Just outta the etchant

JPH

As mentioned in a previous posting here's that three core composite using 200 series stainless and 1070 for the three cores in a twist/counter-twist interupt/offest pattern. I got lazy and used 1070 for the edging instead of my usual high density shear steel...

Now I got to mount the thing...will use some sort of forged bronze for the furniture...

JPH

App:

The cores are around 45 layers or so.....the hairpin weld on the tip is a real PITA to do but I did figure out how to make it weld a bit easier and allow me some additional working time as well so that helps...I have made 100's of these blades in all sorts of sizes and patterns..(I even have a chapter in my 4th book on this...heh heh heh)

This is after all "Dark Age Tech" (as I like to call it) and now that I have my head back on straight after that major shake up around here I am actually able to get my goat smelling carcass back out to the studio and get some work done... I have RPFS looming in 21 days....this will be one of the pieces for that faire.

All in all..I forged out a nice bronze guard and will be fitting that this afternoon and fitting a ferrule behind it as well..got a really nice piece of black horn I am going to use for a grip...might flute that..haven't decided on a pommel yet..might do a three lobed, might do a tea cozy..haven't given that much thought..Should have it finished up (and about another 30 some odd pieces as well) by Monday afternoon...

This one is turning out OK so far...

With things being how they are I am actually thinking about doing some more classes on this sorta stuff...

JPH

With things being how they are I am actually thinking about doing some more classes on this sorta stuff...

JPH

That I would be interested in. Assuming my forge welding skills keep coming back. ;)

App:

The cores are around 45 layers or so.....the hairpin weld on the tip is a real PITA to do but I did figure out how to make it weld a bit easier and allow me some additional working time as well so that helps...I have made 100's of these blades in all sorts of sizes and patterns..(I even have a chapter in my 4th book on this...heh heh heh)

This is after all "Dark Age Tech" (as I like to call it) and now that I have my head back on straight after that major shake up around here I am actually able to get my goat smelling carcass back out to the studio and get some work done... I have RPFS looming in 21 days....this will be one of the pieces for that faire.

All in all..I forged out a nice bronze guard and will be fitting that this afternoon and fitting a ferrule behind it as well..got a really nice piece of black horn I am going to use for a grip...might flute that..haven't decided on a pommel yet..might do a three lobed, might do a tea cozy..haven't given that much thought..Should have it finished up (and about another 30 some odd pieces as well) by Monday afternoon...

This one is turning out OK so far...

JPH

Cool Jim, it will be a very classy, user blade when it is done it seems. I would love to get out by you for a little while, and maybe if you are still looking for an apprentice:D...............

Put me down for the class! Again.

I was out in the shop today finishing the pattern welded wheel for the pizza cutter I'm working on and did the twisting on the billet for the handle. I used my screw press to dress the billet square and even and then to turn it from square to octanonal to round before twisting and to dress the twisted billet straight between twisting runs.

Thomas Powers