I Forge Iron

Visit to UK

ianinsa

@Beth, In the interests of not hijacking Ian's thread I have started another in 'everything else' to debate the identity of blacksmiths, parrots, Michael and things Glossurr!

I also have no intention of hijacking your visitors either!...my offer was prompted by yours. I thought if they were going to be in Gloucestershire visiting you they could improve their FPM (forges per mile) average by visiting here as well.

Ok, so I have bought the tickets, decided to go via Dublin(I'm led to believe they have Jamesons there B) B) , I think I will check it out at scource am see if it's what we're used to! ;) .

We will spend 2 days there 2nd and 3rd April, Any local smith to visit? Then we will head out from there no real itenerary.My trip back is booked for the 15th April.

@H&T, Chris I would like to visit please advise if and when would it suit? Please PM me, thanks.

@ Blackersmith, Alan I would like to visit please advise if and when would it suit? Please PM me, thanks.

@ Beth I would like to visit please advise if and when would it suit? Please PM me, thanks.

@ Thomas when do you expect to be at hay on wye? thanks to your lead I intend to visit there too, but would like to make your aquaitance as well!

To everone else, I'm keen to meet as many smiths as possible and get in as many FPM as I can ....Please let me know!

Thanks Ian

to everyone else

john - you took the words right out of my mouth :) - i am regardless, keen to meet mr evans ( as he knows:) ) and am quite happy to do a bird with one stone arrangement and /or fit in with any arrangements, i IMAGINE his workshop would be more informative than mine for you ian, having said that alan may be a hermit, and your all welcome at mine obviously, but johns seen it.....! ... alan are you up for meeting up? we could even plan a groovy glossur hospitality of some kind - glossur styley... :) i think we should def all meet together somewhere - it would be funny :)

As we just got our tickets recently we haven't nailed down our in country plan yet. It doesn't help that I'm spending 3 day weekends helping with my father a couple hours down the road while my wife holds down things at home. I'll ask her to figure things out ASAP! I have this weekend "off" as I'm going down midweek the following week to help out with an outpatient procedure---it turns out that the Dr's office in a specialty that's generally a concern of the elderly doesn't have *any* equipment or staff to get people from a wheelchair to the examination table so I get to do the "heavy lifting" on my own.

Ian, you and your son, and Thomas, you would be most welcome to drop in at my wee place, though I can't say that it would be worthy of a destination!! I'm on the South West Dorset Coast, but if Beth is having a get together, I might well meet you there!!! ;)

Hi sorry not to have been responding I have been away for a few long days, helping with an installation. I am happy to offer venue and bed space(s) either as proto forge-in or at least tour of toy shed(s).

The area I will struggle to provide/host will be comestibles. It is my sad fate to live with a brilliant cook, so I don't. Unfortunately she is in Columbia during most of April.

" It is my sad fate to live with a brilliant cook" B) I know some that would envy you! :D

A get together is a nice idea! I really enjoy interaction with groups of smiths it always makes for lively discussions.

I have a real interest in seeing different shops, I find I always learn something, even if it's just where you put your cup between sips B) . to-date I have visited dozens of workshops all over the world.Gatherings are great but I really like/enjoy the experience of seeing the workshops even if they are not operating at the time.

Hopefully I also have hints/tips to share based on my experience etc. This is a wide and varied craft in wich one never stops learning!

My e-mail adress is ianmills@mweb.co.za

@ Blackersmith,
Alan, I volunteer a cook(and bottle-washer) I recon I could do a passable job. If Dylan is still with me(he has yet to share/formulate his plans) he too is a passable cook and he does does a mean BBQ.

Regards Ian

aha - this sounds ok, and i will def be able to cook us something - if your happy to be venue rather than my workshop which is on a dirty rather busy farm with no facilities, that would be great, i will cook cook cook :)

ps which end of your visit are you thinking of ian? i have kids off as it is easter hols, and the last week is substantially better for me.... what you say alan? colleen and john b of course your welcome to take in some glos hospitality if your free ! :)

I am meant to be delivering a piece over Easter...have not actually started it yet...so probably towards the end of the trip after Easter would suit me for any gathering. If they were passing by earlier and wanted a stopover that would also be fine, it does not have to be a single visit...

I am meant to be delivering a piece over Easter...have not actually started it yet...so probably towards the end of the trip after Easter would suit me for any gathering. If they were passing by earlier and wanted a stopover that would also be fine, it does not have to be a single visit...

Stopover around the 6th even prepared to sweep the shop floor and help brush up the piece. I would love to be able to visit again as it would be great to be part of some sort of gathering! ;) I have PM'd you please e-mail me.
Thanks Ian

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Yes I'm back home in Sunny old South Africa, oh did I mention Sunny. :D Having spent 2 weeks in England during their drought, it rained every single day bar one, and on that one my son Dylan was gobsmacked to see one chap watering his garden in contravention of a hosepipe ban(it rained again that afternoon).

Thank you all for your hospitality and a very special thanks to you Allan! it was really apreciated!

Dublin, well Dylan put it this way "I now know why the Irish drink so much" and I can't fault that logic. Nice friendly people though.

As for what I saw and learnt on the trip:

1) Chris had a really unusual hammer- Allan explained that it was a blackersmith hammer. It looks like(I did not see it in action though)
a mean little hammer really interesting, @ Chris I know that you are really busy, but at some point when you are not, Please do a article/topic on it I'm sure the chaps elsewhere will be facinated by it.

2) Chris also has a small hydrogen generator(from water) that powers a torch, that he bought on auction I have never seen such a small one, a friend of mine is an agent for the large Italian ones and his ones are awsome and **#$ expensive.

3)I was taken to meet a couple of guys that "play with old farm equipment" Wow, sadly I missed meeting Coleen due to this excursion(sorry Coleen) however these fellows have 3 warehouses full(like you have to squeese betweenthe machines) of combines, old tractors & steam traction engines that they have restored. I had never really found this sort of thing interesting yet I was facinated for hours.

4) Allan Evans - boy, oh, boy what can I say, where I have always thought in terms of volume, Allan seems to think in terms of size. Based on what I saw lying around it would apear that his favorite starting size is 3" square bar this he draws down to 1" with aparent ease. Allan has a bulldoze bender that is just "to die for doll" Allan you are a great host and an inspiration as a blacksmith and a all round nice guy. Allan also has a really inovative forge.

5) I also learnt about some changes to my Black Diesel processor from my team in Abu Dhabi that I am going to incorporate into my setup in south Africa. So I'll probably change my used oil burners to run on black diesel and tweak a new forge to crib some of your ideas Allan(if you don't mind that is)

6) @Beth, You should post your picture, you will definitly start a fan club! (Beth comes across as a really nice person on line,face to face she exeeds all expectations) I learnt the Beth seems to have acsess to All kinds of equipment that smiths in the new world only dream of, We should set up some trades and you could buy those parrots! :D :D

Glad the trip wasn't a total washout. We have been ravaged by further drought problems since you left. Our spring collection tank in the field above the cottage has been overflowing for the last couple of weeks and a lot of trees came down over one particularly squally arid 24 hours!

corrections...

The hammer you described sounded like a 'Blacker Hammer'. 'Blackersmith' is the name I use on blacksmiths' sites in memory of my first hammer!

Who is this Allan Edwards bloke then? (Alan Evans perhaps?)

Edited by blackersmith

ian - lets trade :) what do you want ? flypresses?? thankyou for your kind comments, but i Must take you to task on one thing - and it will offer you a window into the mind of most women interested in this subject :) - it is No Coincidence that None (to my knowledge) of the females on here put up their photos!!! it is in an attempt to be taken half seriously.. it is a very hard thing for a man to imagine, because it is entirely different for you lot . :) thats it, feminist sermon over, do not be afraid ;) and im very glad to have met you and that you had some fun here, and also while we're here, alan, ( evans - not sure who this other bloke is.. ) a total pleasure to meet you also sir, and what a wonderful way of working you have - very inspiring and interesting.. a very robust and yet graceful aesthetic :) keep wondering about poor dylan - its rained pretty much ever since you left ian - please send him my regards - a very friendly chap :)

Glad the trip wasn't a total washout. We have been ravaged by further drought problems since you left. Our spring collection tank in the field above the cottage has been overflowing for the last couple of weeks and a lot of trees came down over one particularly squally arid 24 hours!

corrections...

The hammer you described sounded like a 'Blacker Hammer'. 'Blackersmith' is the name I use on blacksmiths' sites in memory of my first hammer!

Who is this Allan Edwards bloke then? (Alan Evans perhaps?)

The one and only my humblest of apologies I'm such a twit sometimes,Sorry mate, I hope that I will be forgiven!

@Beth, Having previously seen your work and read your input I for one took you seriously, with one caviat " what you thought the parrots might be worth" :D :D .

On the subject of Allan's surname I have but one excuse(and it's p/poor at that) I typed out my post and when I tried to post it it dissapeared into the proverbial ether. much to my chagrin I had to retype the whole thing, shortening and making a" MISTAKE of note".

A window into a mans mind = lots of gaps surrounding an inability/aversety to use spellcheck and rereading what you have written ......... :P

On the question of flypresses, I have some and don't need more but I have friends in the states that would love to get their hands on some , they would want anvils too, so yea let's colaborate, I can give money to Dylan who could pass it on.

Dylan is well, although he seems to have picked up a cold(wonder how that happened?) :D I'm very chuffed at his endevours as he seems to be quite sorted at present. I'll keep you up to speed on his progress! once again thanks to both you and Rob for giving him the oportunityof working in the Cotswolds!

Kind Regards Ian

ian - i hope my post did not sound cross!!! thought about my comment/tone of voice, on the school run and if you knew me well you would know i just do jib a bit about the whole sexism thing :) i thankyou for your comment above - and apologise for being such a d. head :) (are we allowed to say d. head......?)

you just got to see The parrots with a different pair of glasses on i think... ;)

Thanks Ian - its not been the most fantastic day :)

what i might do ( i have been thinking about it ) i cant really (definately should NOT) buy the exotic fibreglass birds, BUT i may go and photograph them, and i will upload them and i will try to persuade you of their value :)
lets you me and alan go into business exporting anvils and presses then :) cant imagine there is much money in it though after the shipping.... ? !!