I Forge Iron

where do you find all the info on post vises

matto

I have never come across either a book or other source of information on vises. Most of the vises that I have seen over the past have not had markings of the manufacture. If that is your passion then perhaps your spending time researching and then putting together a book on the subject might be of interest to you.

If there is such a thing as a leg vise aficionado-nut, I'm that guy. My information comes from looking at and trading leg vises over the years. There is a little written material, and there are a few images in old catalogs. Compared with anvils, there is a paucity of information about who made leg vises and when. Much of what I've learned and conjectured, I have posted on iforgeiron. I'm of an age where I don't want to gather and publish. If I did gather and publish, I would want a sizeable award from a grant proposal. It would be nice to travel throughout Eurasia studying examples of old leg vises and other shop equipment and tools. To do a decent job of research would require at least a year in the field and beaucoups dollars.

I'm not familiar with jaw sizes stamped on vises. It seems to me one could measure jaw width with a rule.

The best written articles I've seen regarding leg vises are in a four part, hard copy series in "Anvil Magazine," July, August, September, October, 2001. "Restoration of Leg Vises" by James R. Melchor and Peter M. Ross.

I also suggest that iforgeiron correspondent, njanvilman, has not only a large anvil collection but also leg vises. He welcomes PM's if you have questions.

Continuing from my above post, I took a picture of a page from my huge 1894 Manning Maxwell & Moore catalog, total 1,071 pages. The engraving shows what appears to be a Peter Wright vise, although similar vises I believe, were being made in New England at that time. The key & wedge are not shown in the engraving, which makes you wonder how careful the engraver was. On the same page, the parallel jawed leg vise is shown, which gives us a time of manufacture. You can also see that box & screw assemblies were sold separately. The text talks about the patented concave and convex washers to supposedly prevent stripping the threads. Brand names are not mentioned.

The prices shown will blow your hat in the crick.

post-74-0-38527800-1330357995_thumb.jpg

Very few makers stamped their vises that I have seen, PW, Iron City, Columbian come to mind. Very few date stamped them though I have owned a couple that were. More weight stamped them as they were often sold by the pound and then there are a lot of marriages out there taking parts from several vises and putting them together in one working one.

all six of my vises are stamped with jaw size on the front jaw two 4", one 4.5" , two 5", and one 6" the 4.5"has a fk stamped on the screw box and one 5" is stamped 1913. other than that no other markings. i will look into the info from frank to see if i can see who made my vises.