I Forge Iron

Oh my you can hurt yourself fast....

Had a reminder to always respect the hammer today. Was trying to hold two tools and the workpiece under flat dies, the top tool kicked out and pinched my fingers between the tool handles. Thank the gods those particular tools have light 3/16" dia. rod handles, they bent before breaking any bones. I won't be keeping the fingernail thou and I'll spare you all a look at the missing skin under the bandage. It was an atypical one-off set up and because I knew it was weird I was trying to be safe. None the less... be careful everyone. Please learn from my mistake.
post-6738-0-60959200-1330215998_thumb.jp

Ouch!!! Watch for infection, and at the first sign of same run don't walk to the doc. Crush injuries heal oddly and if infected like to be much worse. Hope it heals quickly and well.
And I would offer that the wedding ring is another injury waiting to happen. Miy wife saw an ARMY poster on the dangers of wearing a ring while working and took mine away, saying she would much prefer to have me equipped with 10 fingers than to have the ring. I now wear it on our aniversary when we go out to eat, and not wearing the ring has not hurt our marriage any, since May will be 31 years.

A smart fellow (Peacock) told me yesterday, there is little difference between fear and respect. I operate most everything at some level of fear; Farm equipment, machine tools, wood working equipment , etc. It keeps you alive hopefully ( thank you God) and on your toes most of the time. I rate my fear factor on a scale of 1-10 1 the blender full of margaritas, 10 the forging hammer….scares me just thinking about it. I’m happy you still have all ten fingers Bruce

I set a single shoulder into the workpiece with a butcher, then drew out the butchered area to 1/2 the thickness of the original stock. Think sideways L shape. I then placed a lower tool (piece of flat stock with a handle) of 1/2 the original stock thickness on the lower die. Placed the WP on the die with the lower tool supporting the thin section. Placed an upper tool on the thin section of the WP. Upper tool kicked out, too long, not square to upper die, not paying attention, etc. Should have held the lower tool in place with my clapper die clamp except that it was an odd thickness and I don't have one that fits the die holder. No big deal really, just thought folks could learn from my error.

Just goes to show that the easy way is almost never the correct way.