I Forge Iron

Rusted Old Tongs

TomN

Its a shame, becuase the last time I serviced my car (which is a diesel) I collected the oil in a large can and got rid of it, in an appropriate manner I will add.

I will definately try and heat them to red and move them as they cool. A friend of mine over the road, who also has a diesel that we serviced may have some old oil lying about. Will ask him later!

Any tips for getting rid of the rust from all over them?
I was thinking of just lightly going over it all with my angle grinder and a flapwheel disc.

I like a wire cup-brush on the angle grinder for rust removal. It's quick and leaves a burnished surface that's pretty good to the hands.

Hold the tongs in a vice and try not to shoot the grinder across the room. A light touch is all you need.

Lewis

I just use them rusty, and after awhile they develop a patina. The only reason I mentioned my truck being a diesel is that an oil change is 3 gallons, so plenty to dunk rusty tools into. Be careful heating tongs, as some are made with tool steels, and could crack if quenched. I always thought that they were just plain nonhardening steel.

• 2 weeks later...

Took then to the forge last weekend and heating them in the fire, seem to get them al moving.
I have to tighten a few of the rivets, but they are all working now!

Need to reposstion a lot of the reigns, but other than that they are good to go.
Thanks for the advice everyone!

I like apple cider vinegar it smell alright and I keep a bucket around for descaling and reust removal. put them in for a few days and wash them off and give a light coating of oil if you want. As to Kroil it is the best I have ever found I bought a new gallon at the start of the year. It will loosen almose anything.