I Forge Iron

Rusted Old Tongs

TomN

If you need to loosen a rivet a little put the head or upset end in a hole that fits pretty good. Get a punch about the size of the shank or a little smaller set it on the rivet centered over the shaft of the rivet smack it hard with a hammer, it will be looser.

Sorted all the tongs out! Got them loose and then tightened when needed.

Sadly 2 sets of the tongs have cracked, at the ends and the working ends are now useless.
I need to make myself a whole series of tongs soon. Flat head first!

Just order 100, 6mm rivets with a length of 20mm. Should be fine for making a load of tongs and a load of other general riveting jobs.

fill a bucket or other suitable container with water, add baking soda to it to make it more conductive, attach the negative cable from a battery charger to the tongs, and put them in the water. Attach the positive cable to a piece of metal and put it in the water on the opposite side of the tongs. turn on the battery charger. In a while the rust will be gone from the tongs and there will be no damage to the parent metal. If you do a search somewhere on this forum there is a more complete expanation of the process along with the exact amout of soda to add per gallon of water.

Sorted all the tongs out! Got them loose and then tightened when needed.

Sadly 2 sets of the tongs have cracked, at the ends and the working ends are now useless.
I need to make myself a whole series of tongs soon. Flat head first!

Just order 100, 6mm rivets with a length of 20mm. Should be fine for making a load of tongs and a load of other general riveting jobs.

Weren they the wrought iron ones Tom, If so you can use the reins to make other pieces.