I Forge Iron

hardening railroad rails

The best way to clean the metal is to hammer hot iron on it for 8-10 hours.

For those that are using Rail Road track for anvils, just get a 20 foot section of track and bury it 17 feet +/- into the ground, leaving the proper amount sticking out of the ground for use as an anvil.
This puts all the mass of the track directly under the work.

Paul; no problem! If you heat the rail to about 2000 degF you should be able to just bend it and slide it into the hole straightening the bend as it goes.

For a full heat treat on a chunk of rail Alexander Weygers The Complete Modern Blacksmith goes into details as he advocates annealing the rail to put a hardy in it and then re-hardening. Most of us are not that gung-ho...

Thanks Glenn, I'd stick it in the ground, but its only 7 inches long. :unsure:
Right now I think I'm going to clamp it to a railroad baseplate 1/2" thick. That should give it a bit more mass.

Drill the base flange in 4 places, and use 4 large lag bolts to fasten it to a large log for added mass. If you can bury the end of a long log. A stable well supported system will make a light anvil perform much better than trying to add a small amount of mass to it.

Phil

Here is what I've got, pre-spiked down. post-24020-0-54041000-1330012710_thumb.j And some more detail on the plate. post-24020-0-07087600-1330012723_thumb.j Now, do you think it would work if I left one of the holes hang over the edge of the log to serve as a Hardy Hole?

Ah HA! Good.

The hardy would be "light duty" but could work for you. It might bend if you wailed on it too hard.

Phil

When I first started out back in 1973 I made this anvil from a railroad track. I found a railroad siding that had lots of old track piled up and I took a hand hacksaw and cut me a piece of track. Today you would get arrested for doing that. But back then, nobody cared.

I had bought a book, The Modern Blacksmith by Alexander Weygers that showed how to make an anvil from a railroad track and I followed the directions. I did it with just a drill, a file, and a hand held grinder. I heat treated it according to his directions. I used this anvil for many years.

My point is that you get out of your efforts what you put in. post-3873-0-42952800-1330037753_thumb.jp post-3873-0-94865200-1330037789_thumb.jp

Functionality is one thing and pride is another.

I don't know if this piece was ever used, I think it may have been cut off of new rail when they put it in. I tried it out yesterday, worked like a charm! It had considerable advantage to just the baseplate, which I was previously using.

As to the hardy-hole, I figure it'll work well enough- if it breaks I've got two more baseplates I can use!

And Ciladog, I respectfully disagree! :) I put minimal amount of effort into this, and already I'm reaping some great benefits!

Don't hang it over the edge---drill a hole in the log under where the sq hole will be---if you want the hole sq. Drill it under sized and pound a piece of hot sq stock in to make it square.

I found that old rail tended to be easier to use than new rail as new rail is crowned and so work slops on it whereas old rail has been worn flat.

Don't hang it over the edge---drill a hole in the log under where the sq hole will be---if you want the hole sq. Drill it under sized and pound a piece of hot sq stock in to make it square. ...

I have had better luck heating the plate with the undersized hole in it rather than the square stock that is being pounded in. But, do make sure to use your drill to best advantage. For the beginner, this is the most effective way to remove metal. When you get better, a cutting torch is more effective. Try both, but the drill somehow works better if you (or your buddy with the torch ;) ) is not so skillful with it.

Here's what I did with the hardy hole. It's only draped about 1 1/2 " off the log, so its fairly sturdy. And if it breaks, I won't sweat it. I've always got a few more baseplates that I can use.
post-24020-0-14746700-1330115156_thumb.j

And here it is, all come together and rather useful! I really appreciate all of the advice that you all gave me, I always enjoy learning more about this craft!
post-24020-0-46730800-1330115208_thumb.j