I Forge Iron

Missed a Hay-Budd,Found a Peter Wright

I was bidding on a 70 # Hay-Budd on ebay my max was $ 210 and not happy about $3 /lb .
Lost the bid and felt like I let one get away ...Then I got realistic it was too $$ for too little .

Same day -today I called a fellow that I had bought a small bench anvil from on the chance he knew who might have a larger anvil .

He says he knows someone with a few .. I asked who ? Answer. he said ME!

This fellow lives a few blocks from me [after looking all over craigs list & ebay...it's in my back yard ] I go over and there she is PETER WRIGHT plainly marked .
To my novice eye this anvil looks in pretty good condition !

It weighed 138# on a scale ,his price was $ 280 .. just about $2 / lb . Now I know lots of you have paid $ 1 /lb or a bit more but I think I need to take him up on it .

Had a nice ring to it ,table was in nice shape ,no problews that I could see .

Question ? Should I look for something specific,any known trouble spots etc.
Thanks I

Put the money (cash) in your pocket and be there at 8 am tomorrow morning. Take a look at the anvil in the daylight and decide for yourself if it is worth the investment.

All it takes to make the anvil pay for itself is just 14 each $20 items, or 20 each $14 items. The anvil should pay for itself in 30 days. Strange how inexpensive anvils are when you price them in that way.

Edges should be clean not broken up. They should be radiused from about 1/4 to 1/32 inch (or there about, this is highly variable from anvil to anvil) from near the horn to the heel. Horn, heel, and face intact. If you tap on it with a hammer it should ring and have no "dead" or funny sounding spots in the face.

Phil

Face is not delaminating, no hidden cracks: ring test.

Test for rebound *your ring test should can you that as well): ball bearing test

Is the face un-scarred, edges passable---need not be perfect. No sign of the face being ground thin to "pretty it up": visual test

Good Brand, Decent Price, Nice Weight---why is in not in your possession already!

I'll probably pick it up this week .. seller is in no hurry said not to worry it's not going anywhere.

meanwhile I'm figuring out what type of stand to make . Also need forge -going to start with gas and then lay out area in garage .